Star Citizen

downloading now, about 1 hour to go

sidewinder is working but really sluggish, the keyboard/mouse is loads better, took out my first baddie with a missile *Boom* lovely :)

At the moment i dont think any stick/HOTAS device is working properly and they're on the case to fix it.

Ahhh so slow to download. I hate being an impatient person :eek:

mine is stuck on repairing some metafile :mad: **reinstalled downloading

Same here :( I've been looking around for a solution and so far the only thing that seems to work is a fresh install.

The flight model needs some work, its all over the place. Will take quite a bit of practice to get used to it.

Same here :( I've been looking around for a solution and so far the only thing that seems to work is a fresh install.
Go into your install folder and look for all the .VERSION files and delete them, Solved the problem for me.

maxzuk posted this in the ocuk forums. Might help fellow HOTAS owners :)

There you go

tried it and it works

We've uploaded the xml files necessary for activating the HOTAS controls here:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/m..._hotas_x55.xml
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/m...as_warthog.xml

1 Click the correct link above for your HOTAS joystick
2 Right click the page and Save As - noting where you've saved the file e.g. C:\Hotas
3 Now, once you're in game, open the console with the [ ` ] key and type: pp_rebindkeys C:\Hotas\layout_hotas_x55 (or pp_rebindkeys C:\Hotas\layout_hotas_warthog)

hows about x52? thanks

Quite impressed so far. Using the 360 for windows controller which I seem to be doing ok with. Reached wave 9 on dying star after realising I needed to scan before I could lock my missile, I was mashing the Y button but nothing was happening lol. Also, I need to be a bit more conservative with my RT weapon as I was getting overheating warnings.

but first impressions are good.

mine downloaded, installed multiple patches, now seems sat with please wait............. no HDD activity.

did anyone else get this or is it a problem?

edit logged out and back in again. fine now

I had some thoughts going on videos but I must admit those thoughts were fairly meaningless without playing.... well now I have and here goes.

1) jesus, those ship models are somthing else in terms of detail. I think they are some of the best I have seen on a pc game. My 300i in the hanger, all in white is sweeeet!.

I thought it looked ok pre PBR but now...... on top of that, performance on my 670 is better too. playable on full bubble 1080P.

2) The damage model is cool. I clipped an asteroid and realised I damaged my gun.... a quick outside view look, I hadnt damaged it, it was gone, alone with the left side of my rear tail.

I also lost an engine with 1 life... that was good too.

3) I tried with the X52, it was floaty, unresponsive and didnt feel right. I am thinking this could be improved over time. the throttle was ok though.

4) there is not enough mass to the ships imo. I just dont really feel I am flying a big vehicle. That being said, there is no reason why this cant be tweaked.

5) The big negative for me and what I am worried about. Mouse aim and flight at the same time.... This is the worst thing I have seen so far, for my perspective. If HOTAS is going to be a viable option in this game, the complete dumbing down of the mouse controls has to be scrapped. people saying "its not fair, why should my mouse aim be nerfed.... Fine, I can kind of accept that to a point, but take your bitter medicine with your sweet treats, if you are goiing to get pinpoint target snap to mouse aim, you should still have to be flying the vehicle as well, not this arcade war thunder nonsense.

I havent tried with flight assist off yet, I will do of course but the thing is, so long as the option is there for it to be on, along with the mouse control, to disable it in multiplayer and go up against full assist mouse control will be suicide.

I havent experimented with 3rd person yet to see if that is balance ruining either..... It is fair today I am a little worried for it. 3rd person is ok for eye candy but is totally immersion breaking for me..... but if I am going to be at a disadvantage by staying in my cockpit then I guess I will have to use it. time will tell.

things like the sound effects, poor lasers etc I am not concerned about, neither am I the AI, all of those things will be improved.

So conclusion (sorry if I am rambling I am just trying to be balanced and honest)......................

I dont think it is as bad as some have said on different forums, though I think it is certainly more arcadey than I was hoping.

It looks amazing.

The flight mechanics with a stick needs work but is not a lost cause.

It feels a bit floaty and disconnected but again, i think this can be fixed with a little tinkering.

imo the mouse controls seriously need a rethink. For me this will make or break the game.

Personally though, as of right now, it does not come close to the feeling of flying a big complicated ship, which elite gives me. When I 1st played elite, I felt a bit like the 1st time I drove a car.... with Arena commander it does just feel a bit like a very pretty arcade shooter... nothing bad, but, nothing really to make it stand out from say galaxy on fire (aside from its looks).

The proof in the pudding was, 1st time in arena commander I was able to take out a good few ships, indeed my 1st deaths were my own demise of hitting asteroids. 1st time in ED in a 1 on 1 vs an AI sidewinder in premium beta training module..... I got owned!.

I accept though that I am biased. I really like all of Chris roberts' games but for me ED was my childhood gaming love.

On KB/M this does feel a lot like Freelancer, and I was hoping for more.

Positives
  • There is nothing visually to touch it, it looks fantastic.
  • Damage model, very detailed, maybe even a little too detailed, but excellent nonetheless.
  • Performance, I was pleasantly surprised that it ran as well as it did @1440p (even when forced to disable SLI due to graphical corruption)
Negatives
  • The controls. I felt like a turret aiming up, down, left and right in space. I didn't feel like I was actually moving or engaged in a dogfight. I feel yaw control is a big problem there as it disconnects you from the action. I didn't feel like I was chasing down the other ships and it just felt a bit like 'turkey shoot'. Mouse control needs to be redone entirely, as at the moment it is the most efficient way to play this game due to how they have it currently implemented. Pad sensitivity was basically, 'not much - way too much' all in the travel distance of a few millimetres. I really hope they look at re-working this current control.
  • The audio. Highly disappointing, the pew pew lasers are dreadful and need to be redone. The engine sounds were non-existent, no sounds for boosting and the voice warnings were overly spammed, very disappointed here. Considering just how much weight good audio can add to a game (like it does in Elite Dangerous), I found the audio here severely lacking.
  • The hud. Too much on screen and most of it pointless it seemed. All that information about lots of different guns etc., it just didn't need it all up there covering the screen. I don't think I ever had to check this info frequently enough to have it permanently placed up there. I will include the scanner in this as well, as I found that impossible to use. If you are going to borrow that scanner idea from Elite, at least improve on it.
It felt far too arcadey for my liking but it's early alpha, they will have lots of feedback from players so hopefully they can tweak and sort things out.

Last edited:
Hopefully Limit Theory keeps improving at the rate it is and each game spurs eachother on

sounding a bit thick here. but I downloaded a couple hours of update last night then when I eventually managed to get back into the game, there were to what seemed 'identical' ships ( I have only purchased one). One of which ship seemed to be graphically 'glitched'?...and I couldn't for the life of me work out how to get into dog-fight... it was late and I was tired, being my only excuse... any pointers welcome ;')

@pixelpidgeon Pick your helmet up and jump into the seat of the white ship, you will then be presented with the AC menu.

ahh think I got in the white ship before putting helmet on then got out because it looked glitched. put helmet on and got into other ship. will try again this evening after work. thanks :)

@pixelpidgeon Pick your helmet up and jump into the seat of the white ship, you will then be presented with the AC menu.

4) there is not enough mass to the ships imo. I just dont really feel I am flying a big vehicle. That being said, there is no reason why this cant be tweaked.

I have seen this point come up a lot, also on the official forums. I thought that was the original intention of the team to have a realistic flight model. Technically in space your mass will be fairly irrelevant even on the scale of the ships, due to the engine models that they have. Even small amounts of thrust will accelerate a large body of mass very quickly.

I guess in the end it will have to be a gameplay sacrifice over reality.

Even small amounts of thrust will accelerate a large body of mass very quickly.

I guess in the end it will have to be a gameplay sacrifice over reality.

I am not a physicist, so maybe I am wrong (even if I am however, it still feels less fun than it should imo)

but my understanding is, even in space, whilst weight may not mean much, inertia and momentum should still have an effect and a ship the size of a 300i should not flip about like it does..

but that point is less important for me than the crazy "do it all with 2 axis" mouse control.

The details are really in the engine models they use and you have to think about it logically.

Take for example a real life rocket. It has huge engines to power it out of the atmosphere, as on Earth gravity is really strong and your mass is essentially your weight, in space your weight is essentially 0, regardless of your mass. Once it reaches space and has the correct trajectory/velocity then the engines are no longer firing, it doesn't need the thrust anymore.

We see in a video game, that our ship engines are always on, in reality this would not be the case as in Space there is little friction. Once you reached your maximum velocity then you can simply turn the engine off and you will coast in that direction losing practically no speed, until you hit something or enter the gravitational field of a massive body. However, that does not feel right to our perceptions or what we are used to, because practically none of us travel around in space.

SC seems to have tried to implement a realistic model, when we cannot really comprehend what that means. A huge spaceship can turn on a dime, if it has the correct directional engines and enough thrust, due to the weakness of gravity in space. Their ship models have constantly demonstrated the distributed thruster mechanism that they use and everyone has said how cool that is and wow. However, the realistic nature of it, means that the flight models may seem strange to us. Will be interesting to see if they stick to their guns or if they modify it.

On a side note, it is a similar mechanic to having streaking stars on your display to give a feeling of speed and acceleration. Realistically this would also not occur.

I've had an hour with it this morning, i've tried all the combinations KBM, Gamepad and HOTAS.

KBM will be dominant in it's current form, it's in the war thunder style of point and shoot. The mouse should not control the ship and aim together.

Gamepad was by and far the worst for me but i'm useless with pads anyway, it just didn't feel right.

HOTAS was the most enjoyable, actually started to get into it after a while and enjoyed hunting down those Scythe.

Before hand using yaw it does feel like your spinning on the spot but when i ditched yaw and concentrated on roll it was much better. Again i actually started to enjoy it although my skills with a HOTAS somewhat lack.

These things can be changed with the right feedback and it's very early on so i'm not too bothered as like i say with the HOTAS i enjoyed it.

Pros:
Looks beautiful
Damage model brilliant
With a bit of work it could be great

Negatives:
Sounds are poor but i imagine they're place holders so no issue
YAW needs slowing down and they need to reconfigure KBM
HUD probably needs a rework but again its early days and things like that usually constantly change

Generally KBM and YAW are my biggest gripes, it doesn't feel fun with either method but like above this can be changed.

Isn't the HUD going to be customisable at some point anyway?

Yeah... things like the hud and sounds i expect will get a major work over.

Hopefully they sort out the super quick yaw and the over sensitivity. KBM layout can be changed too so shouldnt be too much of a trouble.

A quick vid i did using the hotas and showing the damage model.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom