Star Ceiling Project

dansan

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd share my experience of installing my own Starscape infinity kit, hoping it might help anyone considering something similar to give it a bash!
Having updated my humble garage cinema during the lockdowns with some new kit which included me making a perimeter 'coffer' to house some new atmos speakers and relocate the main lights into it it became apparent just how unlevel and hideous the existing ceiling had been left and I started to think about either a stretched fabric or some of Starscapes Infinity panels as a way to really finish off the room.

After a few emails with Peter at Starscape I took the decision to have a bash and see how good a job I could do by going for a DIY infinity kit, the kit consisting of the LED light source, hydra 6 Splitter, 6 extension tails & carrier tails, fabric covering & silicone construction adhesive, I also ordered a shooting star from Peter at the same time consisting of a control unit and its own set of 'fibre tails'.

From the advice I received from Peter I choose to use the same PalFoam product as they do for making the panels, this was ordered from a separate supplier supplied pre cut to the dimensions I wanted, the rest of the bits and pieces I would need were sourced from various different suppliers.

The quality of Starscapes components is top notch and the whole project has turned out really great in my opinion, but less waffle, hopefully a few pictures will help show what I think is a huge pre/post improvement.

My unlevel ceiling, although it doesn't look to bad from this angle it's far worse at the other end!!
6) setting ceiling height.JPG

First panel getting fabric glued down
13) stycobond f1 adhesive applied by roller.JPG

I had colour coded templates printed from images made using the starfield generator ( link on starscapes website), drilled largest to smallest fibres marking on the board after each size change.
18) drilled larges to smallest, folding back template to colour code board between sizes.JPG

panel fully drilled/marked
19) 1st panel drilled and colour coded.JPG

carrier tail fibres fitted and fixed
22) fibres bonded.JPG

Matt black vehicle wrap used to cover the rear of the panel
24) vehicle wrap used to cover rear of pane 2.JPG

Wrap applied, fabric spray adhesive fixed to the edges and back, finished panel bar mounting choices and fibre trimming
26) fabri 3M spray glued to board edge and back.JPG

Panel with the 'shooting star' this one took quite a bit of time/effort!
36) main fibre tail fiting.JPG

think i was seeing stars by this point🤣
37) 260 fibres bonded!.JPG

Finished up pretty neat though.
41) ss panel fabric edges glued.JPG

Panels going up, four out of the six fitted.
3) 4 up 2 to go.JPG

panels aligned and fibres trimmed
10) view across panel array turned off.JPG

the final effect
13) stars only, movie on.JPG

pure chance captured the 'shooting' star in this pic!!
17) shooting star captured in a still!.JPG

Oooooh, that's nice. Good job.

Did you use silicon to “glue” down the strands ? Cheers
yep, I found the bits of gaffer tape helped keep the fibres positioned, then a dob of general purpose construction adhesive/silicone over each of the fibres to secure them👍 That was supplied in with the kit as well.

Inspirational. What a great job. If I ever go down this route, I don't think I'd have mine on for films (I like it pitch black), but for general viewing and that wow factor when you open the door, it certainly takes some beating. Something I may go back to look at in the future.

Thought I'd share my experience of installing my own Starscape infinity kit, hoping it might help anyone considering something similar to give it a bash!
Having updated my humble garage cinema during the lockdowns with some new kit which included me making a perimeter 'coffer' to house some new atmos speakers and relocate the main lights into it it became apparent just how unlevel and hideous the existing ceiling had been left and I started to think about either a stretched fabric or some of Starscapes Infinity panels as a way to really finish off the room.

After a few emails with Peter at Starscape I took the decision to have a bash and see how good a job I could do by going for a DIY infinity kit, the kit consisting of the LED light source, hydra 6 Splitter, 6 extension tails & carrier tails, fabric covering & silicone construction adhesive, I also ordered a shooting star from Peter at the same time consisting of a control unit and its own set of 'fibre tails'.

From the advice I received from Peter I choose to use the same PalFoam product as they do for making the panels, this was ordered from a separate supplier supplied pre cut to the dimensions I wanted, the rest of the bits and pieces I would need were sourced from various different suppliers.

The quality of Starscapes components is top notch and the whole project has turned out really great in my opinion, but less waffle, hopefully a few pictures will help show what I think is a huge pre/post improvement.

My unlevel ceiling, although it doesn't look to bad from this angle it's far worse at the other end!!
View attachment 1602195

First panel getting fabric glued down
View attachment 1602197

I had colour coded templates printed from images made using the starfield generator ( link on starscapes website), drilled largest to smallest fibres marking on the board after each size change.
View attachment 1602198

panel fully drilled/marked
View attachment 1602201

carrier tail fibres fitted and fixed
View attachment 1602202

Matt black vehicle wrap used to cover the rear of the panel
View attachment 1602203

Wrap applied, fabric spray adhesive fixed to the edges and back, finished panel bar mounting choices and fibre trimming
View attachment 1602204

Panel with the 'shooting star' this one took quite a bit of time/effort!
View attachment 1602205

think i was seeing stars by this point🤣
View attachment 1602207

Finished up pretty neat though.
View attachment 1602208

Panels going up, four out of the six fitted.
View attachment 1602209

panels aligned and fibres trimmed
View attachment 1602210

the final effect
View attachment 1602214

pure chance captured the 'shooting' star in this pic!!
View attachment 1602215
Speaking for Starscape, it's hard to fault Dan's achievement in any way. Really excellent work! Peter Fagan

Inspirational. What a great job. If I ever go down this route, I don't think I'd have mine on for films (I like it pitch black), but for general viewing and that wow factor when you open the door, it certainly takes some beating. Something I may go back to look at in the future.
Thanks👍
I too like total darkness for 95% of films and when it’s off the fabric is extremely good at absorbing reflected light.
I’ve also managed to get it set up using a Vera plus, some lightwave rf & and linking the Vera to my harmony remote, by creating a scene with any of the devices pause/stop/exit buttons as a trigger when I pause a movie or end one from the Vera harmony app (phone or tablet control) it turns the ceiling on, it’s much easier on the eyes than dimmed main lighting but plenty enough to see easily to pop for a drink or snack😆! A similar set up scene with play as the trigger turns the ceiling back off, a master lightwave wire free wall switch also controls it for simple on/off at any time.

How did you replicate the magnet mounts?
Everything I used was sourced in the uk after a little Googling for suitable magnets, the tethers were via a company I’ve used in the motor trade before but there easy enough to find if you use the right search terms.
The track can be any steel c section you want I guess, as long as it’s a heavy enough gauge, dimensions are key, I drilled the holes for the tethers/fibre tails with a cone cutter in a pillar drill, the steel track is screwed into the original ceilings joists. Couple of pics might explain better?
283D25B4-7758-4B45-A423-04430B37EBFA.jpeg

D9EA7DED-6822-4266-9241-5856C3CFA2E6.jpeg

I omitted these images first time around as I’m not suggesting anyone use what I did or do it how I did, with stuff hanging overhead it’s up to yourself as to what your happy with, safety first👍

Would you let me know which company you used to purchase the PalFoam? Also is it 5mm thick?

Thanks for your reply, I have 120cm x 120cm MDF 9mm boards so instead of magnets I'm going to change to Ceiling hooks. cheers

Very impressive @dansan

I am looking at the possibility of doing the same in my front room, but with it being a front room looking to do it in 2400x1200mm tapered plasterboard panels.

Could you give a bit of an explanation on how and where you created the template for the drilling etc? Can you make it say 2 x 1200x1200m squares which I can plot onto paper? Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Very impressive @dansan

I am looking at the possibility of doing the same in my front room, but with it being a front room looking to do it in 2400x1200mm tapered plasterboard panels.

Could you give a bit of an explanation on how and where you created the template for the drilling etc? Can you make it say 2 x 1200x1200m squares which I can plot onto paper? Any help you can give would be appreciated.
Cant speak for the OP , but i just went random with mine
584CEC3F-859F-4128-9F55-2C8A4F3A6ACA.jpeg

Very impressive @dansan

I used the starfield generator on starscape's site, entered the number of different size fibres I would have per panel, checked the 'colour code box' then generated a png image, I then manipulated that image in adobe photoshop to the panel size I was using, saved the files and had a local printing company print them out on poster paper to use as a template on the panels to drill through, hopefully that makes sense.

link to the starfield generator:

I used the starfield generator on starscape's site, entered the number of different size fibres I would have per panel, checked the 'colour code box' then generated a png image, I then manipulated that image in adobe photoshop to the panel size I was using, saved the files and had a local printing company print them out on poster paper to use as a template on the panels to drill through, hopefully that makes sense.

link to the starfield generator:

Yes that makes sense, thanks for that. Hopefully will be giving it a go soon

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom