Star Ceiling - Anyone used this.....

TartanB

Standard Member
Hi,

Haven't purchased exactly that particular unit but there are many different manufacturers offering these LED unit. I picked up a couple of different units off E-Bay 2 Christmas's ago for under £50.

What I would say is that the LED units are definitely a more sensible choice than Halogen light units, and for a normal domestic standard height ceiling you will not be disappointed by the light output - very effective.

If you can get a unit with > 2m lengths (e.g. 2.5m or 3m) you will find the flexibility the additional length offers very useful.

Might be worthwhile finding out exactly what is meant by the random switching. On one of my units what this actually meant was a switch setting that caused various groups of strands to switch on and off simultaneously. I found that pretty useless so kept it switched off.

On my other unit what you go was strands getting gradually brighter then dimmer - that was more useful and I use that feature.

Be prepared to spend a LOT of time on this project, but the end effect should be very satisfying. You'll probably not be as adventurous as myself - I bought a plaster dome 1.40m diameter and fitted 2 LED units controlling 300 stars AND a very overpriced lighting unit from Spain controlling 6 shooting stars each comprising 300 fibre strands!

Constructing the dome was an absolute nightmare, with the 1800 shooting star strands having to be individually sequenced and drilled in the correct positions. I then had the added complications of having to hoist the dome into the ceiling space keeping my fingers crossed that not too many of the strands would pop out as the dome was secured into the ceiling (no access was possible from above!)

Enjoy

sTTu

Hi,

Be prepared to spend a LOT of time on this project, but the end effect should be very satisfying. You'll probably not be as adventurous as myself - I bought a plaster dome 1.40m diameter and fitted 2 LED units controlling 300 stars AND a very overpriced lighting unit from Spain controlling 6 shooting stars each comprising 300 fibre strands!
Enjoy

Thanks for the feedback, I'd love to see some pics of your ceiling, have you posted any ? Or could you please.

Thanks

Stu

SparksCW

I've just fitted that kit in my office ceiling.

Good quality, works well, remote control is good but really need to aim at the receiver. If you get the colour one it fades/strobes etc between colours which can be quite nice. My only sore point is that the "white" isnt white at all, it's white mixed with random blues reds and greens so be aware of that if you're after an all white setting.

The blues and purples are really good though :smashin:

waxdart

In my kid's room we used UV paint as used on DIY SOS some years ago.
If your art skills are up to it then this may be better than drilling 10001 holes.

curvature

They can be very good for effect but you won't get any decent level of light from them.

Markie Boy

Well my kit from StarCeilingKits arrived a few days ago. It will be a week or so before I decide how to proceed (drill straight through the existing plasterboard or maybe put some MDF panels up instead), but upon testing I could not get the remote to switch the system on. I can confirm the remote and battery are working, but everytime I plug the IR target into the headbox, it switches off the fibre. Disconnect the target and the fibres light up and a random colour change pattern. Ive emailed them about this straight away, but disappointingly have yet to hear back on the matter.

Markie Boy

Well its been over a week and three emails later I STILL havent received a reply regarding the 'fault' with my kit. Not impressed to say the least. Ill give them a few more days then Ill ring them, and contact PayPal about reversing the charge.
The annoying thing is I cant proceed with the install until I know what I need to do.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom