Star Bargain CRT - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by meep, Apr 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Hi All,

Looking around for a good cheap CRT, a vendor is offering me a VIDIKRON TGS550 for 250 euro (!)

He says it's about 5 years old, that he sold it new to a client and has now taken it back in exchange.

For this week it's on loan to a pub as he is repairing their PJ. I went along to have a look.

The setup is terrible as i figure they just popped it onto the bracket with no set-up (as its a very short term loan). The picture is out of focus and pincushion is bad but the colours appear strong and it's very watchable at about 6' 4:3 in a lit pub lounge.

The unit itself looks in very good order and, interestingly, it's got a SCART input. (Is this unusual?)

One issue is a very thin black line running right down the centre of the picture.

I figure for the price, it's worth getting if only to learn about CRT set-up (ie, i can afford to blow it up). However, a few questions;

1. Does anyone know of a possible cause of the black verticle line?
    2. Does anyone know anything about this PJ, specs etc.?
    3. Anyone know where I could source set up or technical manuals?
    4. Anyone know the actual production history of this model (when etc.)?

Many thanks in advance.

Peter

2. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Hmmm

further research has revealed that this is a VIDEO grade PJ (which probably explains the SCART)

So I suppose it'll be no good with a HTPC then. Anyone think it might look ok driven by svido out from Radeon 8500 ??

Thanks again

Peter

3. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as you say for 250 euro (about 190£?) you can't go wrong. If it's got a scart on the back, maybe it takes an RGB signal? Possibly the line up the middle will go anyway when fed with a different signal/source.
    If you connect it to the radeon using a s-v to scart cable, should work OK.

4. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    well, my othe roption is an ex-hire Barco 801 (don't know yet exact spec, s or not etc).

The guy is looking 2000 euro and says it's a take it as is, no set up etc.

This sounds a bit much to me given that the forum seems to say £1,000 stg for a good condition 801.

Then again, that will give me higher quality inputs......

The though process goes on and on.....

5. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,587
    That is way to expensive for an 801, you should find a very good example for no more than a grand. And a usable machine for around £500-900

6. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THX, I've just had a blimp at your HC pics, dunno why I haven't done it before:rolleyes: Really nice setup mate. Interesting that the first pic which shows your 'significant other' (I presume that's who Sarah is) is entitled "The pain...":D :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.