Stanley Kubrick and Superman Boxsets 21.97 at Amazon

jammyone

Distinguished Member
Typical, I bought the Kubrick set on Friday from HMV for £25. Sods law strikes again :rolleyes:

Great spot though, both bargains:smashin:

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Is Shining the extended cut?

John Hodson

No, it's not the extended cut (the longer version is also on the Australian BD BTW)

Doubt it. Only the US cut is extended and I wouldnt settle for anything less whatever Kubrick thought himself!

I really don't like the extended cut of The Shining. It slows an already deliberately (and perfectly) paced film to a crawl and adds endless shots of Wendy and Danny watching television. It includes tacky shots of cobwebbed skeletons during the last section, more suitable for a Blackpool ghost train than a Stanley Kubrick film. Unlike with some other extended cuts this one just doesn't add anything that I thought warranted inclusion at the expense of throwing off the pace of the film.

I don't understand why people often think longer is always inevitably better.

Last edited:

wastedyuthe

Todd Tomorrow said:
I really don't like the extended cut of The Shining. It slows an already deliberately (and perfectly) paced film to a crawl and adds endless shots of Wendy and Danny watching television. It includes tacky shots of cobwebbed skeletons during the last section, more suitable for a Blackpool ghost train than a Stanley Kubrick film. Unlike with some other extended cuts this one just doesn't add anything that I thought warranted inclusion at the expense of throwing off the pace of the film.

I don't understand why people often think longer is always inevitably better.

I agree, although I do like the skeleton clip. The rest of the added scenes just weren't needed and I'm quite happy to go without them.

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
+1 for finding the extended cut unnecessary. It spoon-feeds us more about Danny and his Father and really just doesn't feel needed. Much prefer the european edit. Saying that, I enjoyed watching it just out of curiosity but would always go back to the shorter version.

Mr Moo

I had bit my tongue (keyboard fingers anyway) on saying this, but now there's a gang together I will say I have to agree. The extra stuff is the definition of flabby and unnecessary IMHO, and I prefer to do away with the skeleton party, TV-staring and bit with the doctor/shrink whatever it is.

One thing I do have to wonder is if the transfer is better or worse for the UK as a result of the shorter runtime. Not in bitrate terms, but in ...well, surely they've used a different master etc...anyone know?

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
One more vote for the shorter version of The Shining, it's more measured and shows Jacks perfectly timed decent into madness. For the same reason I prefer the original cut of CE3K which better builds up Roy Neary's growing obsession with the devil's tower.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom