Stands for Screen ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Fjorko, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Guys

Can anyone tell me if one can get stands to hold up a projector screen. The reason for this is so that i can remove the screen from the stands when i'm done and then pack everything away until the next time.

I don't really want to mount it on the wall or ceiling.

So ...i basically want to support the screen at both ends withj equal length stands of some sort......

Anyone that can help me out or point me in the right direction ?

2. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,037
    Sounds like a complete pain, as the stands would have to be fairly big and sturdy to take the weight. Why not do what a friend did and simply put 2 hooks in the ceiling. You can screw chains to either end of the screen, and hang and remove the screen as required? The hooks are white, and virtually invisible against a white ceiling.

3. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    If you really must, this is the kind of thing you need to go to a fabricator or carpenter (depending on material) to get custom made for you. No-one is gonna sell something like that as an off the shelf product unless you buy a complete free standing projection screen.

The hooks on the ceiling approach is something hundreds of my customers have done in the past, even with simple manual pull down screens. It's quick, it's easy, and once you've put the screen somewhere there are no unsightly stands around.

HTH

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Do you mean a stand for a roll-up screen, or a stand for a fixed screen (like a diy one with screenmaterial stretch over a frame ?

Either way, why in heaven's name would you want to do this ? Each time you set it up you'll be flapping around trying to get everything lined up, and where are you going to store the "stands" (which will be fairly substantial if they're going to support the a screen without falling over everytime someone breathes... think of the mast and sail as an example)... and the screen, they're not exactly small items...... ??

Putting a projector on a coffee table/shelf/whatever, and putting it away when you're finished is common enough - after a few goes it's easy to locate it exactly where it should be, and some folk/partners mightn't like them hanging off the ceiling in the lounge. A pull-down screen can be quite easily installed in such a way as to be practically invisible when not in use... for instance behind an already existing curtain pelmet (if you have one) or if it's to go on a wall without a window, then you could run a piece of coving along the wall stepped out for a piece in the middle and attach a pull-down screen to the ceiling behind the coving. There's a post here (somewhere) from a member who installed the screen above the cieling, attached to the joists, and the screen dropped down through a slot in the cieling - quite an undertaking, but completely invisible when not in use.

I'm intrigued to know why you would want to pack a screen away........ :eek:

S.

5. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I also thought of that, but the screen is one of those that you get free with the AE500, it doesn't pull down a long way, so it will be suspended high up in the air.

Do i need to then get longer chains to drop it further down ?

:smashin:

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well shorter ones would hardly do..................... :rotfl: :clap: :smashin:

S.

7. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Ha Ha Ha :D

What i meant to say was : Will the longer chains not cause it to swing about and be unstable ?

Guess i need to just get a better screen huh ?

Which ones have those broad black borders on the top that you can fix to the ceiling and pull all the way down to a comfortable viewing height?

Any screenshots of yours perhaps ?

Cheers ! :smashin:

8. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Most 16:9 pulldown screens (except yours it seems!) have an extra foot or so of black border at the top. Our ones can be custom ordered with more if you like

9. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Mine is a fixed screen with masking, so pictures of that would not be likely to help you......................

Have a read around the screens forum - DRH do pull-down screens with additional black border, as do others - Procinema is another brand which springs to mind. Check out their websites and you'll see what they're offering and their prices.

You haven't explained why the screen has to be "put away"....... :hiya:

S.

10. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Yes, the ones you get free from Panasonic do not have a black border on the top even though it is a 16:9 screen. It only has about an inch of black on each side.

Which ones do you have Liam with a fair amount of black on the top and how much are they ? Point me to a websire maybe ? Or screenshot ?

Cheers Mate ! :smashin:

11. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Because I have VERY small living room, and if i were not going to fix a screen to the ceiling, i was just going to erect it everytime i was going to watch a movie.....

But i guess that will become a pain - so i will let that idea go !

12. Gene

Gene
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You could do what I did, which was to buy some screen material from DRH screens and then get a £10 roller blind kit from a curtain shop.Then add your screen to the roller blind kit and stick it to the ceiling.

All you then have to do is pull the chain to roll it down and pull the chain to roll it back up again. Simple :)

13. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    OK OK , I get the message - my idea of putting up a screen was a bad one

I just wanted it mobile enough as to remove if after a night's movie watching. The missus do not like things standing ( or hanging around) in her living room.

If i do get a DRH screen ( which everyone recommends ), can i specify the length of Black i want on top ?

Cheers :smashin:

14. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,848
    You can also get portable screens reasonably cheaply.
    I currently put a DIY fixed frame screen in front of the TV for movies and keep it in the basement.
    I'm considering one of these as it would be tidier and easier to store.
    http://www.drhscreens.co.uk/lite.html
    You could probably part finance this by selling your Panasonic screen in the classified forum here.

15. Mark Pitchford

Mark Pitchford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes,

DRH will add as much additional black as will fit in the case!