1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stands and Fixing?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Wilfred Whale, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Wilfred Whale

Wilfred Whale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you guys recommend filling your speaker stands with to make them more stable? I have heard of some people using a concrete mix whilst other use simply sand.

Whats best, and, do they really need filling at all if they are of a solid construction?

Will it make any difference to the perfomance of the speaker?

Also, on a related point. I have a set of Misson M70's and a set of oldish Target stands. The Missions will stand on the top of the stands no problem but are slightly unsteady. Whats best to fix them onto the stands with as i don't want to spend a load of money on new stands. Should i drill the bottom on the speakers and screw them on or will a bit of blu-tac suffice?

Cheers

Wilfred

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fill the stands half-way with dry sand/lead mixture. Add silica balls as well (absorbs moisture)

My brother has wobbly stands -very light as well. I would advise filling them (I've got Target R3's, and they are pre-filled- each weigh 40kg)

Use blu-tack between the speaker & stand.

3. Wilfred Whale

Wilfred Whale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Nathan.

Where would i get silica balls from?

It's an interesting idea but wouldn't they vibrate and create distortion? :confused:

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Since you may find lead shot rather difficult to get hold of these days,another alternative is to use Soundbytes(an alternative in the form of interlocking steel lumps).
    I actually just use dried sand in the stands for my B&Ws,which does fine,and would also recommend using blu-tak between speaker and stand to decouple them,and add grip.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Huh? If you're talking about silica balls, they are tiny, just mix some with the sand/lead mixture. The mass of the mixture will compress itself, so the mixture won't vibrate.

6. Wilfred Whale

Wilfred Whale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of my friends who kows a lot about hi-fi etc said that as my speakers and stands were black i should get a roll of self amalgamating tape and literally wrap this all round the speakers and stands together. He reckons that blu-tac between the speakers and the stands will deaden the sound. Is this true?

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't self-amalgating tape fuse the two sides together? If so how will you remove the speakers without ripping the veneer/vinyl wrap?

Just use blu-tack.

8. El Coñazo

El Coñazo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Living in Brighton I have collected loads of tiny pebbles from the beach and used these to mass load my speaker stands. Soundbytes may be better but they are £20 a go and mine were free.

I also had one speaker that wasn't quite straight and cured this by wedging part of the contents of a letter from the Inland Revenue under one corner until the speaker was seated firmly :D

9. Wilfred Whale

Wilfred Whale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Self amalgamating tape does fuse together and can give a real tight fit. I used to use to weatherproof my connection on my LNB on my satellite dish. I have been told that using blu tac actually seperates the speaker from the stand therefore you dont get the full potential out of the speaker. As my speaker stands are spiked and standing on a wooden floor (through the carpet) they are fixed quite strongly to the floor. If i used the tape it would then fix the speaker to the stand as firmly as possible. Also, this tape will not harm the speaker case as it's plastic on plastic.