Standmounts close to wall

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Desmond, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Desmond

Desmond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Evening all, I am in the market for some standmounts that are not fussy about placement near a wall and they might be placed in a kind of alcove between some free standing shelves.

I want to spend about £300ish and was thinking about the quad 12L2 as there seems to be some deals on at the moment - I am not sure about the partnering kit yet but am considering the Roksan Kandy L3 amp, anyone have any suggestions?

Best regards,
    :thumbsup:

2. ARNOLD AKIEN

ARNOLD AKIEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    Good evening Desmond ,

It looks as if those quads are rear ported which is not good if you intend to place them very close to a rear wall.

" Twin rear reflex ports " from the superfi page ..

QUAD 12L2 SPEAKERS (PAIR) - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/3232 for details

Speakers are movers of air and theres not much air to move behind the speakers in the location that you describe.

I suggest that you consider front ported speakers like the ' Tannoy F1 CUSTOM ' that I bought a week or so ago for my bed room Denon RCD-M37 CD Receiver powered system ....

TANNOY CUSTOM-F1 at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

" The F1 Custom speakers are brought to you by loudspeaker masters, Tannoy. With a front ported cabinet they're easy to place yet efficient enough to be run with lower powered amplifiers, including micro systems. Solidly built and finished in an apple wood effect, the Tannoy Custom F1s not only look the part but are far better built than many rivals. This build quality follows through to the sound, which is detailed, natural and a match for more expensive rivals. "

Mine are still settling in but so far so good after I lifted them off the chest of drawers.

Or you could consider the more expensive ' Wharfedale DIAMOND 9.1 ' " .... Oh, and they happily sit close to a rear wall. Right little sparklers they are. " ...

WHARFEDALE 9.1-ROSE at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

You'd be better off with front ported Floor standers though. Pity about that alcove :D

My little bedroom speakers are now standing on a couple of decent quality, heavy wooden adjustable kitchen stools that are plced to either side of the chest of drawers and facing my bed. :rolleyes: So much for high tech speaker stands :) .. though the speakers are are sitting on polipods on top of those stools ...

Polipods

Hope that helps.

Arnold.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  3. Desmond

Desmond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks Arnold, that is a great help - I think I will get myself down to RS and take a listen to the wharfdales and Tannoys coupled with the denon DM37.

Should come in well under budget as well!

Regards,
    D

4. ARNOLD AKIEN

ARNOLD AKIEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    Hi Desmond,

I'm glad to have been of help but do bear in mind that my Tannoy/ DM37 set up is a bedroom system and whilst I'm very pleased with it -so far, so good :) - you might like to consider a 'front end ' CD Player plus SEPARATE amp with a mind toward future up-grading.

With that thought I will add that in your visit to Richer Sounds you should remember that their in house/shop prices are sometimes higher than their web prices and also that they will price beat .. Newcastle s branch matched their own web price on the DM 37 and price beat an on-line store for the Tannoys.

You already know that speakers do need to settle in over a couple of weeks regular playing but even on straight out of the box standards it did seem to me that the Tannoys sounded particularly Harsh at first ... though it didn't help that, at first, they were sitting on a chest of drawers. :D

I did consider those Wharfedales but, all sentiment aside .. nearly 40 years ago my first decent stereo speakers were based on a Wharfedale DIY speaker drive unit kit .. the Tannoys won on price.

Ah, well .. maybe the " WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.1 ANNIVERSARY SPEAKERS (PAIR) " will go down in price a bit ...

WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.1 ANNIVERSARY SPEAKERS (PAIR) - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/3589 for details

" The loudspeaker is a Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 loudspeaker – winner of more internationally-recognised awards than any other loudspeaker in its category - but with an exclusive, high-quality, wax-oiled, real walnut veneer finish, with champagne trim and magnetic front grille with vintage grille-cloth. The quality and finish is nothing short of breathtaking and stands as an example of Wharfedale's manufacturing ability and attention to detail.
    Each pair of Diamond 9.1 Anniversary Speakers is numbered and supplied with an authentication certificate.
    Consider that the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 75th Anniversary Loudspeakers are a Limited Edition and will only be available for a few months, so take advantage of this offer now and join in the celebration of 75 years of Wharfedale with a pair of the finest-value stand-mount speakers, in this exclusive, limited edition release "

To the only available for a few months claim I say Phooey ! and Thrice Phooey !!!

I could put the Tannoys downstairs in the dinning room as replacements for the old MS shelf mounted speakers that live in there at the moment and provide background music .. I mean, just look at that walnut veneer - its got to be worth £60 or so on top of the price of the Tannoys .

Enjoy your Equipment audition but do consider separates as well as the RCD -M37.

Arnold.