• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Standing Order query - where do I stand?

NewMan

Hi.

The letting agency I rent from recently got taken over by another one, and I filled out a new Standing Order request for their account. Unfortunately I didn't cancel the previous standing order and my rent has been taken twice - leaving me substantially out of pocket. Can I kiss this money goodbye? I've spoken to the bank and they said I have to take it up with "them", but if the company I've paid the money to no longer exists then I guess technically the new letting agency won't be under any obligation to help me out, will they?

I'm so ****** off with myself right now - I was looking to buy my new laptop this weekend too. :(

unique

i think you should try calling the CAB, and try calling your bank again and speaking to another person, or asking for a supervisor with more experience. i would have thought your bank would be more helpful. if the money has just came out, it's possible it will be returned/rejected if the old companys bank account is closed. i'm not too sure how these things work, but someone at the bank should be able to give more details to you

NewMan

Thanks for the reply - the CAB might be a good idea...

I'm going to call my letting agency on Monday morning and see what they say, but if the money were going to be automatically returned I imagine it would have happened by now (it was taken on the 28th - and yes, I've only just noticed!). If I get no joy from the letting agency I'll be onto the CAB shortly thereafter. I don't know how much use calling my bank again will be - its just a call centre in India, and they're about as useless as a very useless thing!

unique

it's probably too late on a saturday now, but see if you can trace the phone number of your branch and give them a call on monday. depending on how the switch went between letting agents, if you stayed in the same property, the new agent may be able to sort things out for you by getting in touch with the old agents or something, but if they bought them out they may be at least partially responsible for ensuring what happened to you doesn't happen, at least by warning you to cancel the old SO. if payments are rejected, they are usually returned within 3-5 days, but standing orders are something i'm not used to. there are a few people on the forums who work for banks so they may be able to shed some light on what happens, or in the meantime get googling (how do i get a standing order refunded etc) and you may find some help

andykn

Thanks for the reply - the CAB might be a good idea...

I'm going to call my letting agency on Monday morning and see what they say, but if the money were going to be automatically returned I imagine it would have happened by now (it was taken on the 28th - and yes, I've only just noticed!). If I get no joy from the letting agency I'll be onto the CAB shortly thereafter. I don't know how much use calling my bank again will be - its just a call centre in India, and they're about as useless as a very useless thing!

Your bank will only be able to help if your money has vanished, not if it's gone to where you asked them to send it. If the old letting agency has been taken over, the new agency should have the money. If the account for the old agency still exists it's only whoever is in control of that account who will be able to give your money back - worst case after going to court.

NewMan

Thanks.

Been doing some reading around the subject on a couple of websites, and have reached the same conclusion... Got my fingers crossed that the letting agency still have the old account active - considering I still payed my rent into it until last month, and they took over the old estate agent a few months ago, I should imagine they might - just in case of stragglers like me. :suicide:

NewMan

Just to give this thread a happy ending in these turbulent financial times, I've spoken to the letting agent today, and they have my (extra) money! The kind lady is doing a cheque for me today. I can honestly say I thought it was going to be a lot more difficult than it actually was! :thumbsup:

andykn

Just to give this thread a happy ending in these turbulent financial times, I've spoken to the letting agent today, and they have my (extra) money! The kind lady is doing a cheque for me today. I can honestly say I thought it was going to be a lot more difficult than it actually was! :thumbsup:

Thanks for letting us know, new laptop next weekend then.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom