Standby....

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Lex, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Calling all TV experts...

Whenever I am not watching it I leave my TV on standby.

I remember reading years ago that you should not leave them on standby for long periods of time.

Is that still the case?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard of some cases where the TV has caught fire while left unattended on Standby. This was more to do with quality of TV design (cheap model/quality defect) than Standby in general. However in Standby the power supply is still in semi operational state with only the deflection circuits (vertical and horizontal) as well as video circuits inactive/OFF. Therefore if leaving unattended (away from house) for a while it would be better to switch off if only for the sake of energy saving.

NigelB

3. AndyFox

AndyFox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How true I don't know but was advised recently to leave the TV in standby mode rather than regularly power off as the TV's don't handle the power cycle too well any longer, especially the ones with 'touch button' controls - switches been known to fail in short periods of time or the 'high voltage circuits' to fail

True or not I don't know....

4. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good question Lex.........the TV has been mentioned, but what about the DVD, VCR, SAT, and AMP etc, that we all leave on standby. They all have power running to them, so potentially these are a fire risk too. Mostly iv'e only heard of fires being caused by these items when sockets and extentions are overloaded, on rare occasions it being a faulty set.
    I remember at the end of broadcasting before the white dot dissappeared, the saftey announcement "Don't forget to switch off your TV and unplug from the socket". Just imagine if we all did that to all the equipment some of us have today.
    Look at all the AV gear that reverts back to factory settings if the power is cut off for more than a few hours, there would be the flashing clocks on the VCR, then we would have to force a software download for DIG SAT just to make sure we haven't missed an upgrade etc, etc, this would be worse than having to shave everyday.
    I use stand by through the day when i'm in, and use the on/off switch on the TV at night or if i go out, all other equipment is left on standby when not in use, i feel safe with that.

5. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How many members actually know of someone who's tv has caught fire by being left in standby?

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny how things get you thinking....

At night I always unplug the 36 incher in the lounge but the portables in the bedroom, kitchen and dining room are always left in standby when not in use... dunno why but I've always done that.

7. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Always use the power sw. on my TV.... Having said that though, the DVD, Sky+, VCR, Amp & PS2 are all in standby when not in use (overnight!) the only 2 box's that are switched off are the Game cube and CD player and the reason... they havent got standby options!

I never unplug any of them unless its for moving them.

Taz.:cool:

8. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,507
    Always turn the TV off at the plug everything else I leave on standby, I think its just out of habit. See if I can bring myself to not unplug it tonight but if my house burns down as a result I'm blaming you lot :D

Si

9. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was told off two engineers never to leave a tv in standby. Apart from being a fire hazzard most tvs in standby still use 70% of the power they would use if switched on. Also, using stanby does not demagnatise the screen properly. I always turn mine off at the main switch.

10. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was under the impression that a TV only used 2/3 watts in standby, and arround 90watts when it was up and running, depending on TV.

11. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    more modern tvs do but older ones dont....