1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Standby or Off ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Mattyboy_W, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Mattyboy_W

Mattyboy_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Should plasma screens be left on standby or switched off overnight or when not being watched for long periods ? Is there any evidence that this affects the life of the screen or doesn't it matter ?

2. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I was told by a tv engineer once that for long periods of time a tv should be turned off at the switch as the psu will wear out quicker on standby. I dont know how true this is though

3. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did he not comment on the many Sony or Grundig front panel on /off switches he had to change and use higher melting point solder that this was a problem? or the fact that modern front panel switches are mechanically very poor ? did you ever wonder why sony set made a wrrrrmmmpf sound when turned on ?(because they lacked a simple capacitor over the on/off switch to prevent arcing and damaging the switch? )did he tell you that as costs have been driven down that minimalist engineering is common place? and did he explain that designs that would have been laughed at in the old days now "work" because they last the expected warranty period?
    well us old timers will tell you its a fact thats why your parents sets lasted 20 years now they dont

4. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say if you want your plasma to be reliable leave it on standby.
    If you love the enviroment turn it off.
    i'm expecting a big backlash but thats what experience has taught me

5. DannyLizard

DannyLizard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was always under the impression the Sony's made the wrrrrmmmmpf sound because that was the noise the degausser made on the Trinitron tubes, very curious to know if thats true.

DL

6. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a deguassing thermistor doesnt go wrrrrrmmmmpf! Mains through a poorly designed (for the price)power supply and switch does

7. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    That's what I always thought too!

8. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ask all the engineers who replaced numerous parts in many power supplies and many switches with higher than normal melting point solder on a few on off switches from lots of manufacturers.
    I used to manage a service department (i am not an engineer) and have seen first hand the difference in build quality over the years .Older people used to un plug and switch off sets then the public got progressively bone idled now we press to standby and the quality of the switches reflect that.I seriously doubt that the cheap modern switches would cope with a proper on off say 4 times a day .
    I would love to switch off all my appliances but because of cost cutting i really dont think that modern switches are up to the task.and now because of the throw away society there are fewer real TV engineers who can fix to component level and replace just a switch

9. Cliff

Cliff
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,958
    You can always use the plug switch to save wear and tear on the TV switch and the environment?

The "Vrrrmmm" noise is the degaussing coil and that it a terrific current. You are right about underrated switches though and the lack of a spark quenching capacitor.

10. Mattyboy_W

Mattyboy_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the replies, seems like the concensus is to leave it on standby. When it's on standby, is the whole unit powered down except for the red light ?

11. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    i did think about the standby issue myself.

Quite happy to leave it in standby providing my electricity bill doesnt shoot up. think in standby it takes up 0.8 watts

Is that good or bad?

12. Cliff

Cliff
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,958
    For one item 0.8W is not a lot but add the Sky box, video, DVD, microwave,computer,printer, router,cordless phone, receiver, alarm clock, electric toothbrush.... etc etc

13. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Yeah put the equipment on standby then turn off at the wall - easy.

14. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    According to the Hitachi website, they say that leaving the TV on standby does not shorten its life. The power supply used for standby power is usually a different one to the one which powers the TV in normal use.