1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Standby - Dont do this with your Sky +

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by ComfortablyNumb, Sep 10, 2005.

1. ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had it mine set up to record 3 programmes for my daughter, at some point the box was put on standby, come 21.00 it started recording whilst on standby, so I turned the TV on and there was just a blue screen, her programmes were to last for 30 mins, anyway an hour later and the record light is still on and it won't turn on, stuck in standby mode, gave it a couple of hours and still no change so I pulled the mains, reconnected and I had all of the channels back, I went to Sky planner and a message said "empty", then tried to record but a system fault message came up on the screen, no live pause, no inreactive, called sky the following morning and went through tghe usual house keeping scenario before being told an engineer would have to come out.
    Engineer came round said it was fried and went to his van to get another box, he only had the 160gb version but said it wouldn't be a problem as he had given a customer one the day before, just as he's getting it out of the box and I'm rubbing my hands together Sky called him back and said no! so I had to wait until Tuesday, and on Tuesday they take the old box with the card in it and then deny taking the card, so I have to wait another two days for a new card which Sky initially tried to charge me for.
    So the usual rubbish service from sky, hardly unexpected :thumbsdow

Anyone else managed this

2. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +340
    if its fried its not something thats gonna happen if u do a certain thing its an electrical fault with the product or with your electrics

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I'd guess it's been a hard drive failure (the symptoms are exactly the same as when my HD went) and not caused by anything you've done.

John

4. ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I don't know whether it was fried or not, just the term the engineer used, it's not as if he took the machine apart, he just pressed a few buttons on the remote and decided it should be replaced, it's probably easier for SKY to install another box and move the engineer on to the next job, then repair my box and give it to the next unfortunate, I wont be leaving it on standby when its due to record just to test the theory!!

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    giving your card away is something most people don't do as they don't let go of the old box until a new one is plugged in and working.

Why would you let him take the box without a replacement?

6. ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    He installed the new box, taking the old, who knows what he was doing with the card I wasnt there the wife sorted it.

7. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +340
    never trust sky engeeriners (spellings) charged my mate £30 for about 5M of phone cable

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Well, he must have been pretty daft to pay it. Sky send out letters before installation, detailing exactly what engineers are allowed to charge for, and how much. Pity he didn't read it.