Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Standards / compatibility question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by saine, Aug 28, 2004.

1. saine

saine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This may be a naive question, but which signals are PAL or NTSC specific vs. not?

Obviously VGA is a computer signal which is not specific to any format. Similarly I understand all the analog formats (composite, S-video, etc) are specific to an encoding standard. But are Component Video, HDMI and DVI specific to NTSC or PAL, or not?

Reason I ask is we're moving to the US for two years and want to buy a flat screen HDTV while we're there. We want the advantage of high definition there but want to bring the TV back to the UK. The weak dollar makes prices very attractive.

Multisystem TVs seem expensive over there and are not necessairly HDTV.

My hope is that we can buy a tuner which converts PAL to DVI when we return, and miss out the messy business of NTSC<->PAL conversion (one compromise to another I presume)?

We obviously want all the features - wide screen, high definition, etc.

Does anyone have either answers to the questions above or a good recommendation on how to proceed overall?

Sorry this is maybe very vague. Thanks for any help.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    The mains voltage is more of an issue, forget about the tuner in the set, that wont work in UK, Make sure you buy a Screen that will accept PAL Video 576i and 576p, sometimes called 625i and 625p,(ntSC is 480i and 480p or sometinmes called 525???) but that will work with 230-240V @60HZ US 110V @50Hz would be a bigger issue for bringing the set back.

3. saine

saine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've lived in the US before and the removal companies are very generous in handing out 240v step down to 110V transformers (free). This changes the voltage but not the frequency of course but we had no problems with frequency on anything we brought back before (admittedly including a stereo but not a TV). Should I be worried about the frequency?