Standard Sky box via scaler to Samsung LE26r41 - Which scalar / HTPC combo?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jamezm, Mar 29, 2006.

1. jamezm

jamezm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Standard Sky box via scaler to Samsung LE26r41 LCD - Which scalar / HTPC combo?

I'm thinking within a budget of £300-£800 (I know, low budget...!)

Would appreciate some thoughts on the best way to set this up. I already have the Sky box and LCD TV of course, and am wondering what is the best way to create a sharper more vivid picture (getting annoyed with the washed out 'underwater' look of the Sky broadcasts on this screen). The effect at the moment is very similar to the problems you get if you use an LCD monitor with a PC set to a non-native resolution so I figured a scaler would give the pin-point picture that I'm used to...?

Thanks in advance

2. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +942
    First of all remember that really cheap scalers won't be any better than what's in your display.

Secondly, you need to decide what your sources are likely going to be, now & in the future. Will you stick with Std Sky, or are you likely to upgrade to Sky HD? Or even BD / HDDVD in due course?

Thirdly, what sort of programming do you usually watch? Is it usually video-derived: ie: television, or are films important?

Do you want to use the TV for playing games, either consoles, or PCs?

Given your budget, a very suitable suggestion does spring to mind, but it's best to get the application info first.

BR, Nick

3. jamezm

jamezm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Thanks for getting back to me.

The principal use for this TV will be 90% Sky (regular Sky) because this is for the bedroom. Occasional 9% use of PS2 (then PS3 next year). Very occasional 1% use of DVD.

Programming in the bedroom will be regular TV rather than films. Not likely to use this with the PC in the near future.

Possible future use of this scalar with my shiny new Panny Plasma 37PX60 when it arrives next week, depending on which TV the scaler gives the most benefit to.

Re SkyHD, I have pre-ordered this for the lounge (for use with the above plasma), but I am unlikely to be adding HD TV to the bedroom any time soon.

Hope this is enough to go on? Would I be better off trying to build a scaler using a PC?

4. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi

if you have a look on the PC forum there are lots of people doing as you describe. You can pick up a cheap SVideo capable capture card for around £30 and that will give good results, or you can spend more if you want better quality (have a search for SweetSpot on the HTPC forum)

hope that helps!