1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Standard Definition TV and component PC output

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by benmiles, Mar 6, 2005.

1. benmiles

benmiles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

I have a Toshiba 36" picture frame CRT and have been running a HTPC happily over S-Video for some time. However, I just bought a new graphics card which supports component output (ATi X800 Pro). Thus far, whilst I have been able to get output over component, it is only working at 640 x 480. If I go back to s-video, 1024x768 is possible, but the readability of text is poor.

What I want to do is output at 1024 x 768 via component to improve quality. I have tried every setting in the Catalyst control centre - and had a dabble with power strip to no avail. I even tried to duplicate the exact powerstrip settings that work on s-video using component to no avail. Am I just barking up the wrong tree or is there a solution?

Any help would be appreciated!

2. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Does the Tosh actually support any res through component other than 480p? I would think you would be limited at that. Also the 1024x768 through s-video, I believe, is actually downscaled to standard PAL resolution before being outputted so you don't actually gain any additional definition although you get more visible desktop with the text limitation you have noticed.

If you don't get any movement with different component resoltuions (havn't had the opportunity to try it myself) the VGA-->Scart RGB option would suit you well and allow you to have a true widescreen resolution albeit not progressive..:(

3. Thermopyl

Thermopyl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have a 36zp48 but can not get either the svideo or dvi-component connection to work (i am using the ati dongle). Did you sort your's out?

4. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I have had simlar problems with my Panasonic CRT 36PL32. I'm using the ATI dongle and have only ever managed to get a 480p desktop despite Pansonic telling me the TV will accept 780p via component. I've tried every combination of dipswitches and powerstrip settings you can think of but I think Panasonic are wrong and I'm going to give up.

What I'm curious of though is what advantage there would be for me to actually achieve 720p as I've only ever connected via component, I haven't tried via scart or s-video so I can't make a comparison. Would connecting by one of those methods and successfully getting 720i or 1080i actually be a better option than 480p? Would the only advantage be playing HD content at 720p and a bigger desktop for browsing and for displaying more onscreen in the MCE frontend?

5. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you don't have the correct refresh rate then you'll have problems getting it to work also.

6. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have the 32ZP38 and I'm running 856x480p via the dongle + component. I have got 1024x576p working but I can't play any videos, it crashes the pc. Anyhow, your TV will support 576p. Good luck getting it working :(

Dave

7. 9761

Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a toshiba 32zp48 TV and have all sorts of problems with the resolution.