Standard Def content on HD channels

aphillippe

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question ( I can't find the answer anywhere). Is the SD content simulcast on C4HD or SkyOneHD better that the SD content on the SD channels.

I'm not talking about whether SD channels look better upscaled, or through HDMI vs Scart. I'm talking SD on HD channels vs SD on SD channels.

Is the SD stuff upscaled then broadcast in HD, or is it broadcast in SD, then upscaled by the SkyHD box?

I assume that C4 or SkyOne's industrial strength upscalers would produce better quality than my SkyHD box, so they would do it that way round. Then again, logic seems to escape a lot of these companies! :cool:

(I know that subjective testing on my equipment and finding what looks best to me is the best way forward, but I just wanted to know the theoretically best option).

thanks in advance.

SD on HD channels is upscaled by the broadcaster and received as a native 1080i signal by your SKY HD box. I find that SD on HD channels looks slightly better than SD upscaled by the Sky box, as you say because the upsacler used at broadcast level is superior

I would have thought that any visible difference was more likely to be due to the increased bitrate of transmission - ie less compression applied, less blockyness/etc. I could be wrong ;)

Bit rates must be considerably higher as sd recordings of sd programmes off C4HD take up loads more space on the hard drive than the same programmes recorded off C4.

I would have thought that any visible difference was more likely to be due to the increased bitrate of transmission - ie less compression applied, less blockyness/etc. I could be wrong ;)

You're absolutely right and its a sobering thought to think that if Sky (or freeview) got rid of all the sh*t channels, those remaining would also be artifact free.

If and when ITV and ch5 go the hd route, the resulting improvement in pq, (especially on ITV), on the sd broadcasts alone, will to my mind justify the cost of an hd box.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom