• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Standalone VHS-to-DVD recorder

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Can anyone recommend a dedicated VHS to DVD recorder?
If you want to record from Sky, Freeview or Cable sources then I would suggest the Panasonic DMR-E75. Otherwise the JVC DR-MV1 is probably the best option.

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
there are loads of "new" i guess grade A DR-MV1 on Ebay at the moment seem to go for around £200 ish..
PS I'm bidding on a black so please lets avoid a war Bert..........The MV1 lets you DUB both ways internally
note £269.99 new online at dixons silver only and £280 delivered from amazon

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
I've found models by Daewoo and Sharp for £229 new
But out of these two the former lacks a Time Base Corrector, whilst the latter has a poor VHS part. Ditto the Philips model. There is no point in buying a combi if it's not going to do the job you want well. Both the JVC and Panasonic have decent VCR and DVDR elements hence the reason they were recommended.

J

jpurkey

I get great results when copying tapes to DVD on my Panasonic E75. The VCR seems to be made better than other VCRs I've had. I also like the flexible recording mode, which calculates the proper bitrate so the recording will fit on the disc at the best possible quality, rather than being limited to a fixed recording mode (1h,2h,4h,etc.) Not sure if the JVC or other models have something similar?

Bert Coules

Rasczak,

Thanks for that. I'll concentrate on the JVC and the Panasonic, then. I've seen the latter for sale at £280 (plus delivery) which seems a good price, though those JVC's on eBay do seem to be averaging a lot less.

Jpurkey,

Thanks for the recommendation. I have always liked Panasonic gear.

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

Bert Coules

Hornydragon,

There's a silver JVC about to close on eBay which is currently at £205. As you said, there are several others up as well: some of them are still well below that price but likely to rise rapidly at the last minute, I imagine. Good luck with your black model.

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
bert the black one i was prepared to pay £150 for went for £230!!!:eek: so i think i am going to buy a seconhand S-VHS deck with TBC and i will get a sepearte DVD recorder later on............(when JVC put RGB input on one!!!!!)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom