Standalone Sat Nav or built-in?

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by sparkymark75, Dec 22, 2011.

1. sparkymark75

sparkymark75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    I currently have a Pioneer AVH-3300BT Double-Din headunit in my 2007 Ford Focus. I was considering getting the Pioneer add-on for this unit (AVIC-F220) which gives it Sat-Nav functionality but a couple of things are putting me off;

1. It costs £330. For less than this you can get a standalone unit which probably does more.

2. It would involve removing the headunit to run yet more cables, place the GPS unit, etc and to be honest, I can't be bothered :D

On the plus side, it would be a neat all in one solution without having anything stuck to the windscreen but it's probably limited functionality wise compared with a standalone unit and I'm not sure how up-to-date the maps are and how often they are updated.

Thoughts?

2. Boro22

Boro22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Get a kenwood dnx 5280bt.

3. mre15

mre15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Dont bother, just get a Tomtom. For a start it will cost less than half, and also the updates will be much cheaper and easier todo.
    Plus it isnt stuck in one car if you have more than one car in the family.

4. F-Stop

F-Stop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    +1 :smashin:

5. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi Mark

Just reading through this thread, on a slightly different note what do you think of your pioneer head unit?
    thinking of getting one for our rav4, started out with looking for a Bluetooth double din unit and this came up.
    Your opinions would be much appreciated, the alternative is to leave in the factory head it and getting a parrot car kit for bluetooth instead.

6. marcandsebe

marcandsebe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree as I have the Kenwood unit. You just can't beat having a built in Sat Nav. It's always on, you don't have to stick it to the windscreen and plus it into the power socket, plus it is great for bluetooth audio and hands free. You can also play DVD's (When stationary)

7. sparkymark75

sparkymark75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    The head units great, not really sure what to say other than everything just works. The only slight annoyance I have is that when using an SD card, it displays the songs in the order that they are copied onto the card in, not in numerical track or alphabetical order.

The only other small gripe is that it only shows album art when playing musing from an iPhone/iPod. But the space on the screen is reserved for it no matter what is playing so it doesn't always show the full titles on screen.

If I could buy again, I would probably get one with built-in SatNav. I was going to buy the add-on but at £300+ plus all the hassle of fitting, it's not really worth it when you can get a TomTom for £100-£150 that does everything you probably need.

Feel free to fire me any questions you may have on it though.

8. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Thanks for the feedback. Still torn whether to spend £600ish on this (inc fitting and sat nav unit) or £200 for a parrot kit. Will have to have a play with one in the shop, I suspect if they are good sales people I will walk out £600 worse off!

9. sparkymark75

sparkymark75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Or get the head unit and a standalone sat nav?

10. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Already have a Tom Tom but if i get the head unit i would like the sat nav as well. i have one of the older motorized touchscreen units a few years ago and that was great - never waiting for satellite lock, traffic alerts and no tell tale suction marks on screen telling thieves there is a sat nav up for grabs...