Standalone HD-DVD player or an Xbox?

Alexg

Standard Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I've got a PS3 for games and blu ray, want a HD-DVD player, what's best to go for, a standalone HD-DVD player or get an Exbox elite with a seperate HD player?

Thanks.

You can get standalone HD-DVD players for £179 from Dixons (Toshiba HD-E1)

The Xbox360 HD-DVD drive can be had for around £95 (PC World)

I've got the HD-DVD addon for my Xbox360 and I'm impressed by the picture quality, but the noise from the Xbox360 fans spoils it for me.

If the standalone HD DVD players had been around @ £179 when the Xbox360 addon was launched @ £125, I'd have gone for a standalone.

You can't beat the simplicity of opening a drive tray, insert disc and hitting play. Using controllers and having to endure the games consoles boot up screens and menus to get to the film is annoying. That also goes for the PS3 and it's BluRay.

Games for Games consoles - Movies for Dedicated players :lesson:

If your 360 dies, at least you wouldn't have a useless HD add-on ;)

No real desire to buy the HD DVD drive, going to wait another year for prices on players and, more importantly films, to drop a fair bit.

I'm using the 360 add-on drive at the moment, but the background noise spoils most films. It's a stepping stone until a reasonably priced HD DVD deck appears with the features I want, and it's good in that regard :).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom