Standalone DAB tuners

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
Looking for standalone DAB tuners with 10 presets and IR control apart from DEnon TU1800 (very good but pricey) the stupendous Onkyo T4555 (even more money) ARCAM (even more money again!) and cambridge audio (relaibility worries) what else is out there?

I can only comment on the Denon which I've had for about twelve months and am delighted with it. Whilst it may not be cheap I think it represents good value for money. I have mine fed by an external antenna.

Looking for standalone DAB tuners with 10 presets and IR control apart from DEnon TU1800 (very good but pricey) the stupendous Onkyo T4555 (even more money) ARCAM (even more money again!) and cambridge audio (relaibility worries) what else is out there?
I presume you are looking at new? The Pure tuners are obvious candidates in addition to your above options, and I am not aware of reliability issues with CA's DAB offerings. Second hand I would suggest what I have, a Sony ST-D777ES. When introduced they eclipsed everything available (2000) and are still very good despite DAB's shortcomings. You can then look for something DAB+ compatible if and when it becomes avilable here.:)

Sony ST-D777ES is excellent on DAB. Seems to be the best secondhand buy out there.

It benefits from using a higher quality external DAC.

I presume you are looking at new? The Pure tuners are obvious candidates in addition to your above options,
DO pure still make a stand alone?

thanks for the replies everyone, yes ideally new, i dont mind buying seconhand per say but would prefer new, I ahve known the CA units have issues and the preset selection isnt as good as i would like. THe choice seems very limited it seems a shame that DAB has been reduced to kitchen radios,sure they have a place (the kitchen) but what about people who like radio and have a hifi?

My Cambridge Audio DAB 300S is 5 years old and has performed very well over that time - the only two show stopping problems were:-

1. Snapping the f connector by knocking it into the wall (thats what using CT-125 cable does if your clumsy!), about 3 weeks after purchase - no quibble exchange from Richer Sounds.

2. Knocking the control wheel off by accidentally sliding the glass door of my TV unit into it - sods law 1 month outside the extended warranty (I got for free) expired - at least the remote still works fine on it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom