1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Standalone CD Recorders

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Mr Cheese, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Anyone had experience of standalone CD recorders? Looking at the Philips CDR600, Pioneer PDR609, Sony RCD-W3S.
    User friendliness, quality of recordings, blank media problems, etc.?
    TIA

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I've got a Pioneer PDR555 (3 year old model) and find it almost as easy to use as a cassette deck!
    These recorders will only record to 'Audio' CD-R(W)'s though and not the ones for a computer burner. These tend to be a little more expensive at around £1 each for an R and £5 for RW.
    I find the quality to be very good, but as with everything HiFi/AV its all down to the quality of the other components. Quality is easily as good as a PC burner, if not better.

Mark.

3. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Are there any cheap sources for these machines. I ask because given that DVD recorders have now reached sub £200 prices, I was shocked to see CD recorders still hover around the £150 plus mark. I would have thought they would be easily in the sub £100 region now. It's primarily going to be used to archive my 300+ albums, so don't really need a twin tray jobby. Mark, you sound happy with your Pioneer, did you reject other makes?

Also what's the favoured place for blank media now?

4. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Yep, I had a Sony RCD-W3. A good deck for doing disc-to-disc copies, but with the right software and decent discs, I can get the same results on my PC. Playback was OK, nothing special - typical of a Sony budget CDP. Recording quality was excellent and a doddle to use.

I wanted to do a lot of editing from vinyl, DVD-V music concert discs and radio broadcasts, so went back to MD, as CD-R decks aren't really designed for editing.

Now have a NAD C521BEE CDP, a Sony MDS-JE480 MD deck and a £40 Sony CD-RW in my PC.

Oh - my £40 Sony CD-RW from Dixons will use audio CD-Rs, which I think are a better grade than data ones. Don't mind paying the extra for the quality - have had the same philiosphy since I started home recording years ago using cassette. I normally use Sony Audio CD-R discs.

Cheapest I've seen the Pio CD-R deck for is around £150 - 160 at Richers.

5. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I did think about going down the PC route, but as this is going to be an ongoing project, I think having my record deck hooked up to the PC for any length of time would seriously be inconvenient, especially as my kids are never off it!

6. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Ah - definately not ideal if it's a family PC. My HiFi/AV rig are right beside my PC in my bedroom, so a bit different!

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I think the £150 price range is about right for these. Shop around and you might be lucky. To think I paid £400 :eek: when I bought mine so £150 is not too bad.
    I went for the Pioneer because it just looked a better built unit than the Philips which was about the only other make of CD-RW units at the time. I've always been very happy with the results. A standalone unit is so much easier when I was recording the sound off TV programmes/Video's etc than connecting audio leads across the living room to my PC. Come to think of it though, I got this before I had a CD-R in my PC.

Mark.

8. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using the Pioneer PDR609 for about 3 years. It's by far the most reliable CD recorder I've used. I'd highly recommend it for no-nonsense CD recording. It's a bit clunky and old-fashioned but it makes nigh-on perfect copies, playback is good, titling and other features excellent.

I also used the Philips CDR820, but this broke down after less than a year, and I haven't bothered to get it repaired. Recordings were OK, but not as good as the 609 in my opinion.

I also recently bought a Yamaha CDR-HD1300 (80GB hard disk + CDRW), and have been very pleased with the results so far.

9. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Not so. The only difference between standard CD-R/CD-RW and audio CD is the "write once" code. Good quality standard CD-R is the best route.

Depending on your source, PC recording is the best way to go. You have complete control over the final mix. It's ideal for re-recording those CD's that have been overproduced to the point where they make your ears bleed! :D However, it is more fiddely!

If you must make digital recordings of analogue sources (I do only because the missus is scared of using the xerxes!) then PC again is better. Although you can't reproduce the subtleties that give vinyl its inherent superority, you can at least remove the pops caused by sharp scratches that bugger up the sound!!! ;)

Decent domestic players:-

Cheap n cheerful:- Sony RCD-W3, Pioneer PDR-609

My fave is the Marantz DR6000 @ £400. A mates got one, and for a standalone it's great. He burned over 200 Vinyl albums of various types to disk using this, and the majority range from good to acceptable!! Not bad when compared with his old phillips which produced far too many nasty, thin sounding disks, and even better when considering the sub standard crap even good cassette decks produced!

10. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    In a perfect world...yes, use the PC...but...it's too impractical for me to use the it.

You say the Philips produced nasty, thin sounding discs. What you're suggesting that you don't get a faithful copy of the vinyl? Is this right?

It seems that no-one is too impressed with the Philips.SO looks like Pioneer or Sony is the way to go. I see Sevenoaks do the Pioneer PDR609 for £170 anyone seen a better price?

11. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    The copies were generally average to poor. There are other problems with Phillips kit, but we aren't allowed to mention them here.

I agree with you on using the PC. However, it does offer the greatest flexibilty. If it's a family pc then obviously it's a non starter.

Thats a good price. Sevenoaks, from personal experience, are (usually!) pretty good back up wise as well. Go for it!!

12. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks, guys for your responses. Looks like Pioneer (or Sony!) is the way to go!

13. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Ever consider MiniDisc? For features and convenience it obliterates CD burning.

14. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    But not for sound quality though, or for compatibilty. Stick with the "big uns" for those.

15. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    But I have to say the difference in sound quality is pretty marginal and not as big as some people make out to be! I mean if you have a £600+ CD player then fair do's, but when talking about the CDR deck for playback, forget it, the MD deck playback will win hands down.

16. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had to put a word in for Philips, even though the one I have is probably not what you're after (CDR796 twin deck, goes for about £200 - are you sure the 600 is still available?).

Overkill doesn't say which Philips machine his mate owned but things have definitely improved. Owned the 796 for several months now. Been transferring my favourite vinyl tracks onto disc so I can listen to them on an ipod. Have had nothing but success with this little machine. It's a complete doddle to use - after experimenting I've found it best to record just a little into the red.

During playback I've concluded that except for the telltale sound of the odd scratch it is very hard to tell the difference between the vinyl tracks and store-bought CDs - the drum and the bass are powerful, the highs are crystal clear.

So far I've only had to use one TDK CD-RW audio disk as I am archiving to pc, so I haven't really experimented with different disks. Not sure what 'other problems' overkill means with Philips kit, but they certainly got this machine right.

17. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    If you want to know pm me. The forum rules forbid comments that are directly detrimental about companies or businesses. If you own phillips gear you don't want to know, believe me you really don't!! :nono:

18. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Well, just to update chaps....

Dean, I have Minidisc already, full size Sony MD recorder and MD player in the car! All you say is true. I am already an avid MD fan. I mainly use it for time-shifting radio and doing copies of CDs for the car.

However I wish to archive my LPs onto CD really for convenience of being able to play them anywhere!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I bought a CD recorder today. A Pioneer PDR609 from Sevenoaks for £169.95. To show my age the first disc I have chosen to copy is 10cc's Greatest Hits, which I am doing as I type this!

Shopping around for blank media, I ended up in Dixons of all places. They have the JVC CD-R 80's for Audio at half price. Box of 10 including full-size jewel cases for £4.99 a box. So discs work out at just under 50p a disc. This seems reasonable...any comments?

Tony

19. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    :smashin: I see what you mean, even though 90% of audio recordings I make on MD, I still burn certain things using my laptop with Roxio. And I think you definitely bought the right CDR deck, this is by far the best you can get for the price (only a Marantz CDR deck would be slightly better and even that is quite pricey). 50p per CDR?! Sounds good to me! :smoke:

BTW Any recommendations for cheapest MDs? I usually get them from Richer Sounds at just under a £1 each but I am sure I can get them even cheaper

20. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    No really, I get mine from RS too! Mind you they seem to be cheap in the high street shops nowadays.

21. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I have a Phillips CDR 870 , never given any problems and having compared it to the Pioneer I have to say the difference was undetectable. Maybe its just down to luck. As with most equipment by a manufacturer somes good and somes bad.

22. merlynn

merlynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you considered the Yamaha CDR-HD 1300e it gives you lots of editing functions very similar to a MD deck and it come complete with a hard drive so you can use it as a stand alone unit, I have seen it for as little as £ 469
    I have one and the sound is superb.