Standalone BD player to replace PS3 Slim?

Damian1978

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Considering replacing my PS3 Slim for a decent standalone BD player.

I mainly use the PS3 for BD playback and until recently Lovefilm streaming.

Not too fussed for the Lovefilm streaming but want something with a natural unfettled picture quality that the PS3 seems to always deliver.

Had a sucessful period using an LG BD390 which I sold (foolishly) before I got the Arcam BDP100 and then got the PS3.

The obvious choice would seem to be the Oppo 93. Don't wanna really spend more than £300 and very happy with my DV139 for DVD, SACD and CD duties.

Any ideas?

Needs to be silent (i.e. no fans or noisy drives) and if it matches my Arcam gear than that would be a nice bonus :)

at £300 there`s not much to choose but at £500 then the oppo for me is clearly on its own imho

cheers Allan @ Ideal AV

If you like the LG BD390 the LG BD670 is just starting to appear for £150 from PRC or Electrocentre, CNET review LG BD670 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review but on an American version, and if in UK you don't usually get the full range of streaming services they do...

Hi guys,

Considering replacing my PS3 Slim for a decent standalone BD player.

I mainly use the PS3 for BD playback and until recently Lovefilm streaming.

Not too fussed for the Lovefilm streaming but want something with a natural unfettled picture quality that the PS3 seems to always deliver.

Had a sucessful period using an LG BD390 which I sold (foolishly) before I got the Arcam BDP100 and then got the PS3.

The obvious choice would seem to be the Oppo 93. Don't wanna really spend more than £300 and very happy with my DV139 for DVD, SACD and CD duties.

Any ideas?

Needs to be silent (i.e. no fans or noisy drives) and if it matches my Arcam gear than that would be a nice bonus :)

I have a PS3 320 Slim, a LG BD390 & a Sony S760. I love em all and cannot find fault with them for the specific uses I have of them, but for whatever reason my fave is the S760. Just a stunning device. No bells & whistles (like the PS3 or 390) just disc spinning solidity that raises a grin every time I use it for SD or BD - it is the most simple of the 3 but to me something about that simplicity is what makes it special - a bargain at its rrp of £400 (when you consider what players like your old Arcam are sold for). £100 in the Classifieds. :smashin:

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Sony-BDP-S760-Blu-ray-Disc-Player-Review.html

Last edited:
Thanks.

Does the S760 have a fan and does it ever kick in?

Also, what about any online features?

I had the Sony BDP-S350 as a replacement standalone BD player instead of my PS3 Slim and it was great except for slower loading speeds, no built-in Wi-Fi and a lack of extra features.

However, I've now ditched that for the S570 and I couldn't be happier. It has almost all of the media functionality of the PS3 (bar the ability to play games obviously), including DNLA streaming, BBC iPlayer, Qriocity, LoveFilms, etc., built-in Wi-Fi with 1 GB of internal memory plus it loads discs as quick and often quicker than my PS3 Slim. It's an outstanding player IMO; I couldn't be happier.

It cost me £160 from Amazon.

Any annoying noises or fans?

Any annoying noises or fans?

I won't lie and say otherwise as there are reports from users that some S570s are noisy when playing BDs.

However, mine is perfectly fine in that it makes only the odd quiet click when loading discs in a completely silent room but is otherwise unnoticeable while watching movies. My player is in a bedroom and I use it from just three feet away so if was noisy then I'd certainly hear it. It has a rear fan I believe but I can't say I've ever heard it. I do have lots of space around the player though.

I guess I'm either lucky or the placement of the player on top of my Sony HT-SS1100 surround sound amp on an open shelf absorbs most of the vibrations/noise.

If you're concerned about noise from the fan or drive then I'd suggest you view it in a shop where you can check it out in person. That said, if you're going to be putting the player in an enclosed cabinet then be aware that will affect ventilation and possibly amplify any noise. While I consider my S570 quiet, others might consider it less so as noise levels are a very subjective thing.

Thanks.

May have a look around for one. It would be sitting on an open rack on a granite plinth.

Not bothered about seek noises. Just noises whilst playing discs. Don't mind the PS3 drive noise but the fans annoy after 30 mins or so.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom