1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stand Out From The Crowd

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by EXOS, Sep 21, 2005.

1. EXOS

EXOS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello peeps :hiya:

I have pretty much decided on the Plasma screen I am going for (LG RZ42PY10X), but i am really unsure as to which method to use to display my "precious" whether it be wall mounted or a cantilever style stand (giving somewhat the impression the plasma is "floating").

I have a very strong aversion to the bog standard, two/three shelved glass rectangular over-priced, un-asthetically pleasing pieces of rubbish that seem to swamp every AV site (sorry guys if you own one, it's just the "wifes" opinion) :D , not to mention that it would not fit in the corner area, well not without bringing it forward a few feet. Those that i have seen, that seem to fit in with what I am after are £800+ and are simply unjustifiable, or rather I would have to lie extensively to the missus about the price :nono:

http://www.unicol.co.uk/

I have been through the forums, and scanned lots of other peeps setups, some of which are very very nice, but i see they are all primarilly mounted flat on the walls.

The difficulty i have is that my Sky cabling, power etc is located in a corner of the room, and again because of "the wifes" hatred for wires everywhere, and that we are pretty limited due to the room layout, viewing angle and inability of being able to move the "TV" area, I am now looking towards a cantilever wall mount (i.e. those that allow tilted and angular movement of the panel on an elbow stlye bracket) from the corner.

Has anyone used one, or have a picture I can relate to see to exactly what they look like in "home" use? additionally any ideas on holding my AV equipment, I saw a couple of good ideas in using floating shelves, but im worried about finding the right size for my kit and the cables hanging loose from the back of my panel. I thought about a chrome piping type style routing, or something of that ilk, but I wouldnt have the first idea of where to go and how big etc.

I am intending to mount the panel about 4-5ft from the floor.

Help!! Its driving me mad and i just want my lovely "precious" :lease:

Any other recommendations on the floating stylee floor stands also appreciated.

2. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +515
    I installed such a beast about 6 months back for a customer with a Pio 505XDE. It works very well in practice allowing him to have the screen back to the wall for normal sofa viewing, and pulled out/rotated so he can still see the screen from his dining room table. Bracket was not Unico, but was turned from solid aluminium for a very cool look.

You need to have very good fixings as the forces acting on the bracket become larger the further the screen is pulled out. In this case it was a plasterboard wall with metal studwork, so we took off the plasterboard and installed 90x90mm timber to thoroughly brace between the metal studs and give something solid to fix into. The result has been worth the effort although it could be seen as overkill. Mind you, the thought of coming home to find the plasma in peices on the floor and a massive hole in the wall meant we were always going to over-engineer the fixing.

We had a fused spur on one side of the mounting plate to give local power to the screen, and a single gang blank plate on the other side to take the video cables - these were routed through the wall to the source electronics in a cupboarda few metres away. These plates are hidden by the screen when it is back against the wall. We we used the arm of the mount to tie our cables on route to the screen to keep things neat and support the cables when the screen is puled out.

In this case we hid the electronics in a cupboard a few metres away, so there is nothing to see but the screen on the wall. DVD players & set top boxes would not be too difficult to wall mount on shelves below the screen but surround amps are likely to be too big & heavy.

Sorry, no photo to show of the install, the customer will not allow it.