Stand measurements for a Sony KD-32DX100(S)

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by IanK, Oct 19, 2002.

1. IanK

IanK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can any one help me ? I want to buy the above TV, unfortunately I can't find a local retailer with one in stock and Sony UK are unable to answer my questions or even send me a brochure. I'd like to know the height measurements for each of the shelves in the stand to see if I can fit my Home Theatre Amp, DVD player & VCR on.

Thanks,

Ian

2. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Top shelf: 102mm

Lower shelf: 198mm

Just measured them, especialy for you.

3. IanK

IanK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simon,

Many thanks for your prompt reply. Are you happy with this TV ? I'd be interested in your comments good or bad.

Unforunately it looks like I'll need to buy/construct a custom stand, as my AV Amp is 145mm high, DVD 75mm high & VCR 95mm high.

Best regards,

Ian

4. IanK

IanK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simon,

I've just noticed on another thread that you recommend the Sony STRDE585 over the HT-DDW840. I've borrowed a HT-DD740 for evaluation purposes. Which remote does the STRDE585 come with ?

The 740 comes with a RM-U306 & the
    840 comes with a RM-PP411 which is programmable.

I'd prefer the programmable one, obviously.

Also what makes you so sure that the STRDE585 is identical to the STR-K840P ?

Sorry to ask so many question, however as I'm sure you aware Sony UK & there web site are slightly lacking in detail !

Cheers,

Ian

5. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The STR DE585 amp which I have is the same amp which is supplied in the HT-DDW840 package. My comments in a previous thread were that it was better to buy the spkrs and amp seperately, as I did. I managed to pick up the SAVE 305 spkrs for only £129, which added to the price of amp (£193) worked out slightly cheaper than the HT-DDW840 package.

The "840 comes with a RM-PP411 which is programmable".
    -
    Both the STR DE485 and the STR DE585 are supplied with the RM 306 remote. This would also be the case with their respective packages; HT-DDW740 & HT-DDW840.

The 306 remote can operate the basic functions of Sony tv, dvd, vcr, etc. You will still need to keep your original remotes at hand for operating the other functions of your equipment that the 306 can't control.

With this in mind, I bought the RM VZ950 'art courture' learning remote. It is beautiful thing, resembleing that of the remotes supplied with Bang & Olfsen tvs. Its easy to use and to set up.

Its a pity you can't do away with the vcr, as I did. The Sony amp and dvd look really smart on this stand. I ditched my vcr some time ago and have two tivos installed in my loft with the RF output routed around to all the tvs in the house and connected to the Sony tv with RGB scarts. Not everyones idea of the norm I suppose, but makes for a less clutered lounge.

Regarding my oppinion with the tv. Well I've had it 3 or 4 months now and am delighted with it. Geometry is pretty good, best I've seen so far. Not perfect, but then geometry never is perfect. Good focus across the whole screen. Excellent pic overall. Love the analogue teletext, which stores sub pages and allows you to go through them at your leisure. Built in digital tuner is superb - allows you to change channel quickly without crashing like many STBs. I am getting all the freeview channels now (some are still testing with blank screens) and the whole thing looks very promising. My neighbour and then also her parents have since bought the 32DX40 each (couldn't quite justify the DX100's price) after seeing my setup. One of them also bought a tivo.

6. IanK

IanK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simon,

Thanks for the excelent detailed reply!

How do you control your Tivo's if they're up the loft ?

Ian

7. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    No problem, Ian.

The tivos are both contolled with a One-for-all remote extender, a transmitter sits near the telly and a receiver to output the infared is on top of the tivos. I have 2x more transmitters, one for bedroom tv, one for kitchen.

Naturally, I had to install an electrical socket and telephone point for the tivos in the loft. It wasn't too bad, as I had access to the lighting circuit for power and had telephone cable running across the loft already for a bedroom extension.

8. dac

dac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    iank,

i also got some very good advice from simon1 before purchasing my tv set. the first one that came had poor geometry and i've just had it replaced the weekend just gone. (worringly it arrived with a brown tape - but no signs of cardboard rips from previous sellotape, so i'm assuming/hoping it is brand new and not a repaired set.)

this one is much better in terms of geometry - all i've done is set the picture rotation to 2 as it slanted/dipped slightly in the top right corner.

colour and picture clarity is excellent on digital - sooooo much better than analogue.

haven't got my scart leads yet ... so haven't seen what it looks like on RGB for my dvd's.
    connected it up with composite, and it's ok ... although when bright scenes are on ... the top and bottom (nearing the black envelope lines) becomes a bit grainy ... about 2 or 3 horizontal lines. dark scenes are fine ... just fades nicely into black.

a bit annoying ... but i can't be fussed to get it changed again. i wonder if it will still be like this when i used RGB scart??? simon - would u know? ;)

also ... i'll be getting that remote simon suggested.

good luck with your dx100 if u get one.

cheers,
    dac