1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stampede or Strata V...........help please

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by funboy3, Mar 21, 2005.

1. funboy3

funboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I intend to use the sub with both HT and stereo (Naim CDS II, 52 & Supercap, 135's and Sonus Faber Electra Amator II's).

Is the Strata V erally worth the extra or is it just a question of room size?

Thanks in advance

2. Resonance

Resonance

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I read a HiFi Choice review of these two subs. Their focus was on music and their conclusion that the Strata V was slightly better than the Stampede, but did not justify the extra cost. They noted that the intenal size of the Strata was not a big as the outside would suggest as there was an internal partition. They also said the law of physics came in when used for LFE - meaning don't use them in large rooms of for very high volumes.

Their rating was they were both 4 stars out of five for sound quality and value.

Having said that, as we are all different, with a different sense of what consistutes 'good value' only you can really answer the 'worth the extra' question. ;)

Ian.

3. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have had a stampede for a little under a year now and can say that I am very happy with it. Both music and movies give a clear and crisp note.

I cant comment on the strata 5, but if its up to the usual Rel standards you wont be upset.

The only other option might be to look at the Velodyne subs.

Fish

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    That wouldn't be the first option in most people's minds let alone the only option when looking for a subwoofer in that price range for a high quality music system.

Much more appropriate alternatives would be available from MJ Acoustics and Quad

5. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would get the Storm V, or look for an used Strata III, both have proper size boxes... :smashin:

6. gktk

gktk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i recently purchased a strata 5 2nd hand, very impressed and handles music and movies very well