1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stampede hum with LF+HF

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by fourtears, Feb 8, 2005.

1. fourtears

fourtears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Although the manual suggests connecting both the speaker level and line level feed at the same time, I find there is a quiet hum from the speaker when both are connected. This immediately disappears if one or the other lead is disconnected.

Does anyone know what this is and if I should be concerned?

My dealer did mention to me that he does not generally connect both feeds as he has the same problem in general with REL speakers.

I am using a Denon 2801 amp, B&W 602 main speakers. It is a brand new Stampede, using the supplied connects.

Thanks for any comments.

2. Andy_61

Andy_61

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use Arcam's AVR300/DV79 setup, and I get the same, (constant, though!)annoying hum, BUT not just with both inputs attached. I can get the hum with only the LFE input being utilised, but it is much louder with both attached. I cannot believe the sub was designed this way, as at quiet volumes, the hum really is quite intrusive.

OK, I accept that all transformers hum - but they don't all hum at the same volume!

Has anyone any ideas? Or is it time to look to REL, quoting warranties and things?

3. fourtears

fourtears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I cured my hum by re-configuring the route of the wires and removing the transformer for my ADSL line from the same gang plug. It seems it was all electrcal noise being picked up by the leads.

4. Resonance

Resonance

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    If the hum is at a constant volume even when the sub volume control is a zero, it could be you have an 'earth loop' - too many earth connections in your system. Try disconnecting just the -ve side of the high level input and see if it disappears.

If the hum varies with sub volume, it sounds like you are picking up interference. Try unpluging electrical items nearby, or moving them further away.

It could also be you don't have a good enough earth somewhere - check low-level cable carefully.

Ian.

5. Andy_61

Andy_61

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Ian & fourtears - I'll try your suggestions over the weekend and let you know how it goes.