Question "Stains" on inside of screen?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Gary Baldy, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Gary Baldy

Gary Baldy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi all,

This morning I received my new Sony KD-65XE9305, I was incredibly happy until... I had a look at the screen :(

It seems like on the lower left corner there are some "stains" on the inside of the glass, something really strange. If I turn the tv on it is barely noticeable (only if the screen gets really dark), but it is visible when the tv is off.

Here it is a picture - sorry if it is poor but with the glare it's almost impossible to take a decent picture of it

[​IMG]

What could be the issue with this screen? Is it something that happens often? I would like to get some opinions before returning it.

Disclaimer: it is impossible for me to have grabbed the lcd screen with my hands, the "stains" are far away from the edge and the pattern is obviously different. Also, I did an RGB/Dead pixel test and everything seems to be fine in that area. The tv has been bought from Sevenoaks Sound and Vision and it was new, no refurbished/ex-demo. And, in case anyone was wondering, I did try to clean it with a microfibre cloth :D

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  2. DevonMike

DevonMike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Looks like some sort of damage to the inside of the screen.Return it.

3. Gary Baldy

Gary Baldy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks, I'll definitely do it

4. Gary Baldy

Gary Baldy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    A little update: Even the replacement tv had issues - worse than the first one!
    In particular, screen uniformity was terrible with really noticeable clouding even with local dimming set to medium.
    This is a picture of the issue, taken with all the lights on (that should minimise the effect) and with brightness set to 10 :(
    I was watching Cloverfield Paradox and in the deep space scenes it was too evident.
    IMG_0239.JPG
    I ended up returning the tv for good and asking for a refund. I think that 2 TVs in a row means that I've been extremely unlucky with a bad batch, or Sony are not doing QA properly. Either or, this has been my first and last experience with Sony TVs.

5. DevonMike

DevonMike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    That's the panel lottery,I returned 15 TVs last year with issues,yes some were minor but once you see something,you cannot unsee it,ironically I ended up buying a Sony xe7073 and it has perfect uniformity.