1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Staining Black Speakers To Pine

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by malford, Mar 1, 2003.

1. malford

malford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi,
    I have just completed upgrading my AV system from "Typically 80's" looking black units to more modern Silver ones.
    Have just changed my rack from a lovely "Black" Technics rack to a ALPHASON APCH46/5 and it looks great, only problem now is my wife wants me to "Paint my much loved and cherished Mission 765i speakers from a Black grain finish to a Pine finish to match the new rack"

Can it be done using Ronseals "Paint&Grain" and will it look any good?
    Ive seen the bodge jobs that "Changing Rooms" have done on peoples furniture and didnt want to ruin my speakers.

Anybody have any ideas?
    As my speakers have a grain effect would this show through the "Paint & Grain" and look good, or would the "Paint & Grain" completely cover the existing grain?

Its only £12.48 for a tin of this stuff but i am very worried what could turn out?

http://www.diy.com/bq/product/product.jhtml?PRODID=31229&paintCatId=384&CATID=59629&maxBullets=999

Please help me?????

Malcolm

Sony STR-DB1080 Reciever
    Sony DVP-NS905V DVD Player
    2x Mission 765i Front speakers 4 ohmns
    2x Mission 73S surround speakers 8 ohmns
    1x Mission 73C Center speaker 8 ohmns
    QED 90 cable

2. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not familiar with either the veneer used on your speakers, nor the paint but it sounds a bit dodgy to me.
    The only way you'd find out would be try it, perhaps you could try the base of one of them.

3. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    remember veneer finished speakers are only a couple of mm of real wood, so you have to be very careful when sanding the black colour off.

other than that, you should be ok. It sounds easy, but it wont be !

4. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will be ok to paint the grain effect straight onto the speakers but if I was you I would have a practise run on a similar size piece of wood to gain the knack and also assess if you can live with the finished result.

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,941
    why not sort the wife out??

6. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    don't be a wimp just do it but report back and tell us what happend im wanting to do the same thing:D

7. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Just seen some more stuff in the shops paint&stain (ronseal) same kind of thing but you don't do the grain thing got to buy some to do a door if it works on black i'll tell you but this might be in 2 or 3 weeks.

8. paulfd

paulfd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought about asking Mission what they think / advise?

I haven't bought any for years, but how about getting some veneer and putting it straight over the black?

Failing that, a cabinet maker or french polisher from Yellow pages?

Be interested in the results as I have a big black CHT15 which someone doesn't like very much :D

Rgds

9. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Malford
    The paint and grain finish is quite soft you will need to varnish it afterwards.My wife wanted a seat box for the kitchen being as our kitchen was limed oak couldnt find one anywhere.So off to ikea purchased pine seat box and paint and grained it.You would be best to have a practice on the under side of your speaker first though as suggested but it does look quite effective.
    ps you paint the base coat on first which will cover the existing colour of the wood you then put the top coat on and run the comb through, this is what puts the grain effect on.If your a bit nervous about application use a scrap piece of wood as near to the colour of your speakers and see for your self.
    Gonzo:)

10. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't do it!!!!

I tried this with a cabinet as my wife wanted it done. You just won't get the dark colour off and black is very dark ;-) Yes you can paint a base colour on it and then stain with a grain effect, but it won't look like pine.......You will end of wanting to get rid of the speakers and then nobody wants to buy them because they WILL look horrid.

The best analagy I can think off is frozen pizza's, some are eatable, may even look like pizza, but it is not.

Just my 2p worth...

Cheers,

JP

11. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    breast implants, some are eatable, may even look like breasts, but it is not.
    :clown:

12. malford

malford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thanks guys for all your responses, I would have tried to reply earlier but due to a PC upgrade from a PIII850 to a P4 2.8 the motherboard had a onboard LAN card which i couldn’t get to work. I found out that I had to register the new MAC address with Blueyonder in order for it to work.

Anyway back to the speakers, i think i will try contacting Mission and ask them if they know if i can get them re-veneered in a different color, thanks for the idea paulfd.

dejongj,
    I think you maybe right when you said that they may look horrible when finished, I’m very particular about the look of my HiFi and it would play on my mind every time i looked at them.

Nobber22,
    Brilliant analogy and your right about fake boobs are just not squidgy enough.
    :p

Thanks for all the replies i will try Mission 1st before proceding any further.

Malcolm :hiya:

13. joseph

joseph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I,m a painter/french polisher, all the paint effect things look rubbish !
    The best way is to reveneer them.
    Do them yourself !
    The eaisest way is to buy some sheets of venner and some iron on glue.(large sheets of rubbery glue which you place beteen the venner and the speaker and iron to softern the glue)
    1.first clean the speakers .
    2. the easiest way is to recover the sides, top and bottom, leave the back and the front (the back won,t be seen and the grill will hide the front.
    Cut your venner over size and cut the iron on glue to the correct size of one of your sides.
    The iron on glue is a sheet of glue which you cut to size then lay it on your side you are going to cover, the over size piece of venner is layed on top of it and you get a normal iron and iron the venner with a cloth on the venner and the heat of the iron melts the glue (its easier than using contact glue) and it sticks then you cut off the excess venner with a sharp knife. repeat on all 4 sides and then laquer with a two pack laquer and then wax to get that real wood feel and finish.

I did some kef q30 years ago and i was shocked on how good they looked, the venner and glue i bought from Boddys near york they had hundreds of different venners and quite cheep it cost about £10 to do the kefs floorstanders, when i went to the shop they have free lesons what you can just pop in on a saturday,on vennering /polishing etc and they are very helpfull.

14. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    very 'blue peter' but I have re-covered a few things with the old sticky-back plastic/fablon ... works well, removeable if need to sell (especially if you do not remove all of backig sheet) ... and looks ok from across a room ...