1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Staff problems - advice needed

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SanPedro, Jun 24, 2005.

1. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Hi guys

Any advice for drafting written warnings to staff?

I want to make sure I do everything by the book.

Chris

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Need to make sure that everything that is said can be backed up by evidence and if it is for a specific incident that the basic details are included or if it is a multitude of incidents that at least a couple of the worst examples are included with specific details. Needs to include the consiquences of further misconduct and be careful on wording if the consiquences will only be if they repeat the current misconduct or if it is any further misconduct (ie if the issue is over bullying and the consiquence is to be sacking - do you want them only to be sacked if they are caught bullying again or if they do anything wrong eg turning up 10 minutes late)

Has the person had a verbal warning for this already? I know when I was in call centres you often got a verbal warning first before then getting a written warning unless it was for serious misconduct. We also would always have a meeting with the person before the formal warning was given to get their side of the story.

Need to ensure that you are following your employee disaplinary policy/guidelines - in most companies I have worked for the warning letter has to be signed off by HR and they should make sure that the warning does not come across as either victimising the person or as racist/sexist etc. They should also check that the incident is actually a breach of your code of conduct policies as unless what they are doing is criminal then they do have to have been told that the company will not accept personal use of the internet for example.

2 copies of the letter need to be sent and you must ensure that you get 1 signed copy back for their personel file to confirm that the warning has been given. I worked in one place where they never bothered chasing for the signed copy - I knew one employee on another team who had had 8 last warnings but as they didnt have any signed copies the employee simply denied having ever received them and so they decided they could not fairly sack them.

3. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    are they spending too much time surfing the web..? ;)

4. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    No... timekeeping is the problem.

And days off sick.

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
  6. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Chris,

I have some letters you can use as templates if you want me to e-mail them to you?!?!

Send me a private message with your e-mail address if you want them.

Cheers

Mark

7. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    You have to be very carefull in regards to staff taking time off sick (unless you can prove that they where not sick). The best policy I have found is to not pay staff for sick days, unless I send them home. You do not legally have to pay for sick pay untill the 4th consecutive day, at which point you have to pay statutory sick pay which is arround £16 a day. Once staff feel the loss in their own pocket sick days suddenly drop off, strange that.

8. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Start off with counselling the employee.This will enable you to find out if there is an underlying problem which is affecting the timekeeping and also let the staff member know what is expected. The counselling should not form part of the disciplinary procedure.
    If a more formal method is required then an investigation should take place and the facts should be reviewed at a hearing at which the member of staff has been invited to attend.
    The staff member should be informed in writting that a hearing is scheduled giving the time and the venue and the reason for the hearing, i.e disciplinary or investigatory.
    They should be offered the oppertunity to take a rep or another colleague with them if it's a disciplinary.Always have someone taking notes at the meetings.
    I would advise caution if there is the possibility of disability being a factor in the timekeeping issue,if so seek advise from an occupational health consultant.
    Staff have a right to appeal any action you may take and this should be made clear to them along with the appeal procedure.
    Does your orgainisation not have policies in place for such events?

9. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to sack all the unhappy people. :D

10. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    That can work both ways though, we've had agency staff that come in with all manner of illnesses because they won't get paid if there not at work. So you quickly get an office full of sick people who are only 50% productive.

-Neil

11. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    As I said if I can see that they are ill I send them home and pay them, it just makes sure that people are not taking the p**s