• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Stacking units

johnr2110

Prominent Member
Hi All

When stacking seperates is it o.k. to put e.g. a DVD/Bluray player directly on top of a receiver or is it a no no?

JohnR2110

Welwynnick

Distinguished Member
I think its fair to say that most manufacturers don't recommend that, but most people do it.

The issue is with allowing cooling air to circulate through the amp; you normally need to allow an inch or two above the amp.

Of course, you could put the amp on the player, but the player is usually smaller, lighter and nothing like as strong. And it looks a bit daft.

No good answer, I'm afraid, apart form a stand.

Nick

onkeh

Prominent Member
The 60x Onkyos are supposed to have 16" upper clearance, which is obviously overkill but they can get very hot. I can't say I'd recommend it in good conscience.

peterpatch

Established Member
I used to have a Sherwood receiver that switched itself off when I put my dvd player on top of it. No problems when the player was removed. They really need that free space above them so would advise you to put nothing on top. Hope this helps.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Receivers get hot and need air space for cooling. Blocking the airflow with a DVD or Bluray player will lead to overheating with various problems (including destruction) and should therefore be avoided.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom