1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stacking amps etc heat problems??.....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by andy76, Nov 18, 2001.

1. andy76

andy76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there likely to be any problems from heat etc from stacking an amp directly on top of a cd or dvd player??
    The amp is only a stereo amp so isn't particularly heavy and only gets 'warm'.

Thanks

Andrew

2. andy76

andy76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK. I now it was a fairly simple question to ask, but has no one got some thoughts about whether it is OK (ie safe) to stack equipment??

I know ideally I need a proper rack, but at present that isn't practical.
    I see 63 people have viewed the original thread so someone must have tried it and found out whether there are problems??

Andrew

3. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,874
    Andy,

As you are the only one to reply to yourself, i will add some of my thoughts, albeit not professional.

Different amps generate different levels of heat. The manufacturers will always state a certain amount of space all around the equipment for ventilation. I personally have been using a Pioneer THX amp for some years in a cabinet with just a few millimetres space at the sides and about 75 mm at the back, also with a glass door on the front, the door incidentally being open while in use. This has never posed me any problems, and this amp gets 'hot' almost to excess, incidentally it would get hot in a field it,s not just the cabinet!!

I know this doesn,t say yes or no. How many amps are you stacking anyway? I think i should come round and have a listen!!

Kev

4. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    My Sony 940 cut out and protection appeared in the LED. Phoned Sony and it was all to do with the fact that I had a few of the amp vents covered with a portable minidisc player. They stated that an inch above the vents is needed.

5. andy76

andy76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK.
    Thanks for those replies so far!
    Guess as long as I keep the top of the amp clear (where the vents are) I should be OK.

Mozzer:
    I only have one amp sorry :)
    It just happens that I have a CD, DVD and amp and currently just 2 shelves.
    The CD and DVD stacked are too high, which is why I need to put the CD and amp on one shelf - they are both Rotel and really thin.

Thanks

Andrew

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shouldn't be a problem as long as the amp is on top...
    if I remember basic physics , heat rises and I shouldnt think your cd and dvd players emit too much heat.