ST: Voyager season 1 R2 missing episodes?

L

lawrencem49

Just got my copy of ST: Voyager season 1. Very beautiful packaging.

However, I noticed that there're only 16 episodes! Back in the VHS days, I vividly remembered that there were 20 episodes in season 1, with the last of the season called "The '37". What happened to them? Did they re-calssify them as season 2 episodes?

Yes look here for the episode list. It has 16 episodes in season 1.

By the way , what is picture and sound like compared to sky one etc?

It's copying the R1. In the U.S, the first season has always been 16 episodes. The missing 4 episodes are actually the beginning of Season 2. This will make the Season 2 the normal 26 episodes, instead of 22 like the VHS.

Thanks for the episode list, cuewoz1. I've never watched the Sky versions since I live in Hong Kong (local stations here NEVER played any episodes of ST:V); so my only access to ST:V has always been videos.

And that's why I asked the question in the first place, since I still have the VHS copies of ST:V with me. In the (not so) old days, each VHS copy has two episodes, and for season 1 that's from 1.1 to 1.10. That is why I always assumed that season 1 has 20 episodes instead of 16.

What I remember about the first season of Voyager was that 20 episodes were produced, but UPN held 4 back so that they could start season 2 earlier. I'm not sure what happened in later years. I guess the DVD releases are just following the original transmission order, rather than production order.

Both TNG and DS9 were done in production order on DVD.

Voyager was a different beast to TNG and DS9, as it was produced for a specific network (UPN) rather than for Syndication. It was UPN who decided to hold over 4 episodes from the first production year and tag them on to the begining of the 2nd season. It's difficult to tell which is the right order, personally i'd have preffered them in production year to help justify the high price of the set. They are probably right to leave them as part of season 2, as that is when they were transmitted.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom