1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St Anger

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Shoka, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Anyone else got the special edition with the DVD? Watching it now, and its :smashin:, listned to the cd 3 times already and it only come yesterday, highly recomended.

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Got it, not had a chance to watch the DVD, the albums OK, not the pile of s**t some critics have levelled at it. A slightly new direction, although I think some of the songs are overlong after all, this new stuff isnt exactly Master of Puppets territory. KISS (keep it short and sweet). I like the drum sound, its a bit radical, next , everyone will be doing it.

3. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Still waiting for it to arrive from CD Wow. :( Apparently they are having some postal delays at the moment. :rolleyes:

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Is that a dog chewed my home work type of delay or a more technical....wrong type of postage stamp glue

5. MasterRusty

MasterRusty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :laugh:

I've watched the first 2 songs on the DVD but haven't got round to watching the rest of it yet. I agree with Karkus, the new drum sound is great, it's little differences like that which stand out, everyone who has heard the album has commented on it so it's obvioulsy had an effect.

I see St. Anger as a big step for Metallica (as most people do) seems to be a lot of experimental stuff and very brave for trying I think. Initially listening to it I loved it, just because I told myself I had to after waiting so long for a new album, then after that I started going off it...but now, it's the only thing I've listened to since :D Seems to be one of those 'love it or hate it' kinda things :)

6. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The album is very different and that new drum sound does take a while to get used to. But hats off the Metallica for trying something very different as they could of easily done the black album part four. I am still not sure about the album in places it is very good but in others the songs just go on for way too long. One thing I will say for the album it is brilliant to listen to when you are at the gym, it really gets you motivated with all those heavy rifts.

7. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Listened to it the first time over the weekend.
    I found it very boring.......the songs go on far too long and each song sounds the same as the one before.
    I'm sticking with the 'Black' album

8. jammy

jammy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian Cox, you've swung it for me with that gym comment. Nice.

9. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Jammy, if you want heavy, heavy gym music give the album 'Pure Rock Fury' by Clutch a spin - it does exactly what it says on the tin ! Perfect for squats !

10. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Couldn't agree more with SOUNDSTYLE.
    This is one of the most boaring album's I've heard in a long time.

Too long, drums too loud for my liking and every song sounds like the last. Major letdown in my book.

11. manny

manny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    it's one of those albums you have to listen to a few times to get into, and i've always found those are the ones that stand the test of time.

12. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,060
    Its grown on me - I'm not a fan of the drum sound though as it seems to get really muddled in the overall sonics (sounds better in the car though). frantic is great, a real up and at 'em!

Definitely better than Load and Re-load.

13. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am really starting to get into this album now and after a fair few listens I am really starting to pick up the hooks in the songs. Took a while to get used to the new sound but I can not think of another album in recent memory that has got this much raw energy on it. Good to see that Metallica can still put the nu-metal bands to shame.

Top stuff :smashin:

14. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Heard it for the first time today. To me it sounds like a low budget debut. Bob Rock usually does a much better job than this. OK, I can get used to the 'dustbin lid' snare, but the rest of it sounds like it was recorded in a toilet. I kept thinking my speakers were not connected properly, that's what it sounds like. And why does James Hetfield keep trying to scream? He's not Ian Gillan!

A few good songs on first listen, and a few more I'll get used to, but this is no classic, imo.

15. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    i hated this after the first listen - the drums are just ripping off Sepultura, like a snare without the chains.

After another day or so though i loved the album. better than load and reload - i would put it in the same bracket as the black album. I wasn't sure about it when i heard it first in 91, it really grew on me though.

What i like most about St Anger is it seems to smack this NU metal crap in the face.

16. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    i hated this after the first listen - the drums are just ripping off Sepultura, like a snare without the chains.

After another day or so though i loved the album. better than load and reload - i would put it in the same bracket as the black album. I wasn't sure about it when i heard it first in 91, it really grew on me though.

What i like most about St Anger is it seems to smack this NU metal crap in the face.

17. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have two friends, Metallica fans.
    First one hated everything from Black Album on, second one didn't like first three albums at all.

First one plays St.Anger all day long, second one put it on sale.

Me, not my taste but I'll keep it.