SSL signature Windows 7

filynx3

Novice Member
Greetings..

I am a die hard Windows 7 user, along Ubuntu.
I however cannot access many webpages, in Windows 7.
It prompts me with the privacy concern page. No SSL signature detected.
I cannot access gov.co.uk websites, hmrc, dvla, and so on.

I can do it on Windows 10, Ubuntu, and my Android phone.

Is it something about the fact that Win7 does not receive updates anymore?

Can I do anything to fix that, somehow?
I am aware of the clock adjust suggestions, and all the list, presented on some websites. They don't work.
Any real ideas are welcomed.

Thanks very much!

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
If you're a die hard fan you should probably consider the possibility that OS is not the the cause of the problem and tell us which web browser you're using.

"No SSL Signature Detected" an unusual error message though, google doesn't bring up any other results. Is that exactly what it's saying?

filynx3

Novice Member
I'm using Chrome. No, it says, Privacy Error. I'm a die hard fan for the reason that Windows 7 has a reasonably logical interface. Does not collect data, it's easy to configure. What XP used to be like in the past. Thing is... I don't see any reasons why I would switch to Win 10. But to stay on topic, I found on some websited the idea of installing certifiates, what does that mean? And where could I find them to download safely?

Thanks

oneman

Nobody is telling you to switch to Windows 10

Your version of Chrome and Windows possibly has out of date root authority certifications.

Have you been doing windows and chrome updates ?

filynx3

Novice Member
I know Chrome is updated, but Windows 7 updates, surely I haven't got any, weren't they ended? Can I do it manually?
Folks, let me make one thing clear, just because I said I have Ubuntu Linux on my other Laptop, doesn't mean I know much about computer software and troubleshooting, Ubuntu it's pretty common ground nowadays, you don't need to know coding to use it.

That's why I asked, if there's anything that I can do to update signatures, or whatever, please let me know. I do know how to install stuff, do adjustments by following guidelines on the Internet, I'm not completely out of the rich of how computers work. I just need a bit of help and I can do it myself.

Thanks

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Are you able to get a screenshot of the error and post it back as that would ensure we are advising the right thing.

It does sound like as @oneman though your Root CAs are out of date. This will give you a privacy error along the lines of we cannot verify the authenticity of the certificate presented

Unfortunately, Windows 7 Security Updates stopped on January 14, 2020. I am not sure whether Root CAs would be considered a security update as these updates are patches to vulnerabilities.

Chrome also on Windows 7 has security updates which was recently extended to next Jan, but again does that update the certs.

To give a view of what I see

Gov.UK cert is

1629813313809.png

1629813356837.png

These CA ones are long running ones and run till

1629813405690.png

1629813444173.png

I have over 50 trusted Root CAs on my machine and as different websites use different ones, just updating one might work for one website but not the next. It would be a real PITA :(

So given there have been some nasty vulnerabilities that will now be not patched for Windows 7 and your certs are working, that's bad news.

The good news is that you can skip Windows 10 and go straight to Windows 11 shortly :D

oneman

Silly question, are you sure your PC isn't infected with malware ?

i've just tested from Windows 7 PC and its working fine in Chrome and IE

Carbon 60

I'm using W7 HP on my Nov 2010 vintage laptop and have never installed any Windows updates. I stopped using IE ages ago, don't like the Chrome GUI, so now use Firefox, currently on v.90.0.2. No problem loading any websites except the ones that fail my privacy & security settings.

OP - you said W7 "Does not collect data", well that's true up to a certain point. MS started collecting a lot more user data with the SP1 update, so if you have SP1 they have your data (this also applied to XP). Windows also collects and stores user data for every website you have visited in the Registry. And there it stays unless you have a utility to remove it.

You could also try blocking MS using a firewall like ZoneAlarm Pro if you're that bothered about them taking your data.

Last edited:

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
I'm using W7 HP on my Nov 2010 vintage laptop and have never installed any Windows updates.

And we the CCCP thank you for participating in our glorious nation's data-gathering exercise. Our continued access to your data strengthens our resolve.

I really hope you are not using that as your daily machine but I am sure that you will state but I use AV and Zone Alarm Pro etc. In some cases that's like wearing two condoms, no it does not give you better protection. Also, it's very much a false sense of security, have you seen old versions of Windows 7 breached even with up to date AV etc. Since the stop in security patches, there have been some nasty vulnerabilities that have come out and AV won't stop them. Just because your browser is up to date doesn't mean your system is not vulnerable.

If you are wanting to stay private and secure then at least get an up to date OS from somewhere else.

Windows also collects and stores user data for every website you have visited in the Registry

No that's Internet Explorer writing it to the registry. Chrome and Firefox don't unless you have a link detailing otherwise.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Most operating systems will collect personal data for things like automated crash reporting, including Ubuntu

It is worth trying a different browser to see if it's the same thing, and perhaps a more meaningful error message than 'privacy warning'.

Carbon 60

@ChuckMountain

Greetings comrade! I am using W7 as my daily machine and I have a free AV but alas I must disappoint you, no pro firewall. I used to have ZoneAlarm Pro (that I was given for free) and no AV, but that was before W7 when I was working in network security and system admin.

I'm happy with my setup the way it is although I realise it sounds like I'm Mr. Average home user who knows next to nothing, idiotically opening myself up to web attacks from all and sundry. This is not the case however.

Yeah, you're of course right about it only being IE writing to the registry, I recalled it after logging out and wondered idly whether anyone would notice my faux pas and comment, and you did.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
I'm happy with my setup the way it is although I realise it sounds like I'm Mr. Average home user who knows next to nothing, idiotically opening myself up to web attacks from all and sundry. This is not the case however.

Yes and no (to the Mr. Average home user) but don't forget we professionals can get caught out too. Unfortunately, things keep progressing and there are some nasty attack vectors that can be used. How confident are you that your machine has not already been compromised, and helping botnet x for example? If nicely disguised as a legit process or piggybacking off a legit port then AV\FW won't be any of the wiser. Would genuinely hate to see what an APT could do to Windows 7 now :)

It's akin to one of my friends who is a GP, he wasn't anti-vax but was body autonomist and so didn't have the Covid vaccine despite a lot of pressure. A 3-week stay in hospital and near-death experience changed his view on it.

Anyway stay safe comrade :thumbsup:

win 95, XP....soon Windows 7 - tick tock, - you think you will be using it in 2 more years ? 5 ? Think you will be safely using it in 2 more years or 5 ? Upgrade, really its just a matter of when, might as well be sooner than later. I am getting too old, for this to come around yet again... The ghost of windows 95 haunts us still its seems.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom