• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question SSD with only 128GB

castlerock

Standard Member
Apparently the SSD hard drive is the one to have but their 128GB capacity is very low for my budget. I have a lot of music on my current HD which is probably why im using about 220GB. Is there any way round this without spending loads more money if I was to purchase a new laptop with a SSD drive?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
It's amazing how poor the selection of laptops with decent sized SSDs is in the UK market. In recent sales some of the 240GB SSDs were down to £40 and you can have your pick of that capacity at sub-£60 so there's no good reason it should be so prevalent over a hard drive in anything over £200. Some of it is down to customer ignorance - a lot of people simply buy the laptop with the biggest numbers - but there's often nothing at all rather than just a limited selection.

You basically have two choices.

1. Buy from a company offering configurable laptops. Some of them don't overcharge too much, particularly if they're assemblers for clevo (or occasionally MSI) chassis rather than manufacturers themselves.

2. Buy a laptop with a hard disk drive and fit the SSD yourself.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
If you mostly listen to your music at home or where there is decent wifi, then consider streaming from a NAS or could service. Google music lets you upload your music to their server and play for free (although I think there is a limit how many tracks). Or if you have office 365 you get 1TB onedrive space which you can upload your music to and stream for free on groove music.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom