SSD upgrade

crippy21

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
As my laptop is getting older it inevitably is getting slower. However, I've noticed that quite often it will hang for 3-4 minutes. I recently upgraded to 16gb ram but it doesn't really seem to have made much difference.
I ran the userbenchmark this afternoon and it came back with my SSD being below average and recommend upgrading it. I currently have an Amazon unbranded 480gb cheapo and wondered whether a Samsung 1tb 870 Evo might be worth the investment. Will also do a fresh windows install.

Cheers

Attachments

• F14A9512-B380-4FBB-86D9-6FF65AECE5C1.jpeg
    F14A9512-B380-4FBB-86D9-6FF65AECE5C1.jpeg
    334.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 86FFA4F8-B882-4390-88C7-AA328EB2E89C.jpeg
    86FFA4F8-B882-4390-88C7-AA328EB2E89C.jpeg
    266.5 KB · Views: 19
I would consider just doing this - "Will also do a fresh windows install." and see what happens as the difference between a slower SSD and quicker ones isnt going to fix 3-4 minutes hangs. But reinstalling windows might.

I might just get a new ssd anyway as 480gb nowadays isn't a lot.

Nah, those results look fine. It looks like you got the worst production run and it's not particularly fast for an SSD but still far faster than a hard drive - none of those figures are anywhere slow enough to pause for three minutes waiting on disk activity.

If you leave task manager's performance tab up to the side then what does that show while the system is frozen?

Never can get the task manager up whilst it's happening.
Also, it takes ages to boot. End up with the splash screen then the screen goes blank for a good 3-4 minutes then finally boots.

Never can get the task manager up whilst it's happening.
Also, it takes ages to boot. End up with the splash screen then the screen goes blank for a good 3-4 minutes then finally boots. I'm

Before you do anything carry out some housekeeping on your machine. Remove programmes you don't use (be ruthless with this one), clear the cache on all your browsers, clear out your cookies and back up your files from the machine (you should be doing this anyway). When you've done that reset your PC and re-install Windows (type reset this PC in the start box).

The clean install with retain your existing drivers etc for your specific laptop so no worries there. It may well be a driver conflict which you can look at if your machine still hangs after the fresh install, the reset option is quick and easy.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom