Question SSD: To RMA or Destroy?

bazza92

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My Sandisk SSD failed the other night, pc wouldn't boot, not recognised by any pc or external usb caddy etc.

I believe it still has a month or two warranty remaining so can be RMA'd.

However there is some sensitive work files that were on it. Would it be better to just destory the SSD and buy a new one, or RMA it?

How sensitive?
I assume as they are sensitive, you are encrypting them?
If you work for an employer, what is their policy on drive failures?

Doesn't this SSD have just OS and maybe some programs . . . ie not the saved work? ( as you mentioned PC wouldn't Boot...).
With any new tech. reliability can be "tricky" until it's been through several revisions . . . look at the time it took for HDD to become the storage-form of choice . . . even beating Optical ( Or is this not the generally accepted thought, nowadays?).
Whilst SSD are undoubtably fast . . . they are wholely a semiconductor architecture, so each element needs to be made with great care.

However, if the data is "that sensitive" you already know the best course of action: Destroy this one . . . and always back-up onto HDD before you go home. I wouldn't trust any 3rd party to treat sensitive data wisely . . . for Staff, there is always temptation and they can make a copy or tell you it didn't recover. It matters not what the Company Policy is . . . . and you say the drive is soon out of warranty . . . . ditch it my friend.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom