SSD - Programme already installed issue.

Jsnatch

Hey lads, so i basically got a SSD (samsung pro evo 850) and i used the clone software provided to copy my OS system over and "wipe" the HDD.

I've encountered a few problems such as trying to install software/programmes/games that i used to have on the HDD that are no longer available after the clone.
For example Skype. i tried to re download and install and it kept giving me a "already installed" even tho i didnt have any skype on my pc, i had to go through the entire registry removing skype related files. such a hassle...

I now went to download a game i used to play and just got the exact same problem.

Was just wondering if there is some sort of cleaning programme (fingers crossed i never had it before lol) that can clean up the drives?

As far as i can see the HDD hasnt been completely wiped as the clone software said it would and its refusing to let me re-install stuff.

Any help is appreciated.

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member

Jsnatch

Problem is they are not in the "uninstall" options, i have to goto [windows key+R] Regedit.exe then search for whatever i want removed delete all the files then try and install it again... pain in the ass.

richardb70

Distinguished Member
This is the problem with cloning your existing OS HDD, you also carried over the registry. So when you try to install Skype, it'll look there and say "Nope" even though there's no actual installation.

What happened to your Skype install, BTW? Was it on your C drive? If so then the clone should have carried it over as well?

I'd be really hesitant about tinkering with the registry. If you've deleted the actual install files then I'd bite the bullet and do a fresh OS install on your SSD.

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
Problem is they are not in the "uninstall" options, i have to goto [windows key+R] Regedit.exe then search for whatever i want removed delete all the files then try and install it again... pain in the ass.

Did you try Revo to scan through? Or CCleaner?

mozza54

I tried something like this when I bought my SSD. Had so many issues that in the end I gave up and just did a clean install of Windows on the new drive. Unless theres something on there that you cant restore.. it'll save you a lot of hassle

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom