SSD Options

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by WildeKarde, Jan 4, 2012.

1. WildeKarde

WildeKarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +912
    Was considering maybe installing an SSD for a boot drive but not sure what I should really need to consider. Was looking at something like a Crucial M4, reckon it probably would need to be 128gb version.

I've got an ASUS P6T as motherboard which I think supports 3gb drives. Looking at the board (well manual) I have 6 SATA connectors on the board with two other as stated SAS ones, from reading I think these might be the better ones for SATA drives.

So connection wise I think I'm ok as I've only two HDD's and a DVD drive in use currently.

OS wise I'm still using Vista but am I right in thinking I'd be better on Win7?
    This obviously would add to the cost and I'm presuming a clean install is best. I probably could buy the u/g version if needed.

Any advice on what I need to be looking at?

2. mcnoiserdc

mcnoiserdc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    well, I didn't undertand well what you want, but crucial m4 is very well regarded from forums and reviews I have come through. I do own one and so far nothing to say against it.
    SSD and win7 makes computers to boot extremely fast and things get also very responsive. I have even bought one to put in my 3 years old laptop.

3. shadowboxer

shadowboxer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    +1 for the Crucial M4.

Got the smaller 64GB version in a HTPC and I really can't fault it. According to this the P6T will only support SATA II (3Gb/s) so you'll be capped to read speeds of around 250-300Mb/s. With my M4 on SATAII I get roughly 260Mb/s.

Windows 7 should be a must buy. Not only it is better optimized for SSD's ie. enables trim support but generally it is a much better OS than Vista and a clean install will feel responsive and snappy.

My main rig is actually very similar to yours in your sig and it really could do with an M4 too to complete it. Oh the upgrade up just bit me...

*edit*

All you'd need to do before installing is unplug all your other HDD's, enable AHCI in the BIOS and install the SSD. Windows 7 will do the rest for you.

4. WildeKarde

WildeKarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +912
    I was asking if I really should get win7 if I'm considering an SSD. It sound like win7 is a better option to get (should be ok getting the u/g copy of it)

Beyond that I'm not sure if the regular SATA ports or the one of other ones are the best choice. The board says it has:
    6 x SATA 3Gb/s connector(s)
    2 x Drive Xpert SATA connector(s) [Supports Drive Xpert technology, EZ Backup and Super Speed functions]

5. tvmcp

tvmcp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I would say yes get Win7 as it support TRIM
    I would also look up the basic system settings to optimise your PC to use an SSD, you'll need to tweak some settings, and use the Windows drivers, not the chipset drivers.

6. Berties

Berties
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Also do you really need 120GB? I've totalled my

Program Files
    Program Files x32
    Windows

Directories and totals 19GB. That excludes page file and hibernation, and recently cleared out temp folder. You'll probably disable logging, events logger, pagefile, move system restore to another hard drive, move temp and working folders elseware.

7. bigtruck

bigtruck
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,130
    I've installed my ssd today and already only have 20gb of 60gb available(I do have origin/bf3 on there atm) .
    Think I need to move some things around; what's the best things to remove?
    I've just re-directed my downloads to another drive, but I'm thinking about anything that was installed with W7 but doesn't need to be on the boot drive.

8. Berties

Berties
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Disable hibernation
    Disable page file or move to another drive
    Disable indexing and superfetch
    Move system restore to another drive
    Move internet cache to another drive
    Move windows temp folder to another drive

Windows itself should take about 19GB-26GB. Plus page file will be RAM + 50%, hibernation RAM. System restore can be several GB, more if you have lots of restore points

9. shadowboxer

shadowboxer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
  10. WildeKarde

WildeKarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +912
    Don't have hibernation on as far as I'm aware. Did a clean out of system restore points and got back 50gb on the C Drive. Drive still looks like about 100gb sitting and that's no games installed but I know my docs is 40gb of that

11. Berties

Berties
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Hibernation is enabled by default, so that file is in the root, whether your computer is a laptop or not

Hibernate - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Forums

Try using ccleaner, delete all other system restore points, and temp. Also if you've installed SP1 it keeps a backup of that, another 900MB there.

Not on the HTPC which has less crap installed but total Program Files, x64 Program Files, Windows directory is 19GB.

Actually need to go into \user\temp to clear that out, can do it on the HTPC (dual boot in Linux) but for some reason can't boot off a live CD on the gaming rig. I know \temp gets filled with rubbish, my users\me dir is 4GB

12. WildeKarde

WildeKarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +912
    I'd need to have another look at the breakdown on what is using the space but aside from temp files I think the majority of the used space was by files that were being used.

13. Berties

Berties
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Right on the HTPC (in Iinux so I can access Windows protected folders) Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Program Files x86 has a few things, tools etc I use

Windows - 11.5GB
    Program Files - 782MB
    Program Filex x86 - 1.9GB
    Programdata - 314MB
    Users - 3.2GB
    Recovery - 171MB
    pagefile.sys - 4.3GB

If I recall System restore can made several restore points, I think at one time I had 10GB of restore points! Installed CC cleaner and wiped them all except for the last one. Nero left install files in temp even after running ccleaner (about 1GB)

14. WildeKarde

WildeKarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +912
    Ok a quick check on what is on my C Drive shows 110gb in use:
    Window - 47gb
    User - 37gb
    System Volume Info - 10gb (cleared already)
    4 Files - 6gb (maybe pagefile, etc)
    Program Files x86 - 5gb
    Program Files - 1.5gb
    Nvidia - 1gb
    Program Data - 800mb
    MSOCache - 700mb
    Temp - 0

Looking at the windows folder the 4 biggest folders are:
    Winsxs - 21gb
    Temp - 10gb
    System32 - 5gb
    Installer - 3gb

So I'm thinking only really Temp & Installer folders can go from windows directory?

15. Berties

Berties
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Do not touch installer, unless you never plan to uninstall those applications/drivers.

Can't understand why your install is so big. Nvidia? Is that the temp install path for nvidia drivers? ATI does the same, delete them, my ATI install dir was about 1GB as it left several old versions.

Did you use crap cleaner? Perform the clean, and wipe old restore points.

16. bigtruck

bigtruck
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,130
    I've got 20gb of my 60gb available, but I do have 15gb of Origin/BF3 in there, so not too bad I suppose.

Edit - Hmmmm, I redirected my downloads to a different drive, but it's still defaulting to my C drive.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  17. Berties

Berties
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Any idea how large Windows 8 will be?

18. WildeKarde

WildeKarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +912
    Well my vista install went pear shaped last night - couldn't get back into windows and the vista disc that came with the PC didn't have a repair option.

Basically pulled out the credit card and ordered win7 ultimate upgrade (got it cheap as my son is a student :devil:) and a 128gb samsung 830 SSD.

Picked the samsung as they seem to get good reviews and so far don't seem to have had any major issues with the drives.

19. GloopyJon

GloopyJon
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,503
    I love the idea of SSDs and bought one about a year ago, which I installed as a boot drive on my Win7 machine. It's an OCZ drive that had very good reviews, so it wasn't a cheap & dodgy choice. Two or three months ago it stopped working and I spent ages trying to get it back up and running. In the end, I had to reinstall everything on my hard drive and I have been unable to get the SSD working again. Fortunately, I was able to connect it to another PC and get the data off (which was a struggle in itself), but in the end I am extremely disappointed with my first foray into the field of SSDs.

I did try to do some research into possible solutions and drew a complete blank. I updated the firmware on the drive, updated the BIOS on my motherboard etc. but to no avail.

My point is not to discourage you from using an SSD, but simply to say.....make sure that you keep a back-up of your data!!!

Incidentally, when I get a new computer I'll probably get an SSD in it again, but that isn't planned for the near future (maybe next year at the earliest). Also, if I were to buy a laptop in the near future (which again I'm not planning on), I'd probably look for one that was SSD-only, but then again make sure that I back it up regularly.

20. WildeKarde

WildeKarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +912
    I'll be setting it up to put the data (my docs and the like) on the existing hard drive. Just having the programs on the SSD. It needs me to set up a second account I think to get them moved over via windows. So it would be blank admin account on SSD for backup with my user account on the HDD.

All my emails are server based so not actually on the PC so that eliminates that, just my contacts will be on the SSD in terms of data.

Just need to have a look at setting up page file and removing hibernate, etc from the SSD

21. WildeKarde

WildeKarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +912
    Well SSD arrived and just waiting on windows 7 to arrive.

Put the SSD on the bracket it came with, took out one of my HDD cages from my coolermaster case and they don't have corresponding holes :eek:

Cages have holes in bottom for 3.5" HDD's, bracket has holes in side to screw into case :mad:

A bit of liberal work using some velcro straps and its in the cage, it's not likely to fall out by the looks of it :rolleyes: