SSD Installation, mountain lion and bootcamp

Sukh88

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just ordered a SSD for my 2010 13" MBP. It currently has Snow Leopard with Windows on boot camp.

What I want to do is start afresh, by simply replace the HDD with the SSD. Am I able to do this as I have boot camp in place? Like is there a boot loader I will need to resolve first? Ideally I'd want to remove the boot loader completely as I don't use windows.

Also, I'm going to instal mountain lion. So for this to work I would need to get the download onto USB or a CD - is this a simple enough process?

Finally is there anything I'm missing or would need to keep an eye on when installing it?

Thanks in advance :)

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but just to confirm 100% (I thought I got all the required tools but found out I don't!) - what type of screwdriver would I need to remove the hard drive plate?

TIA

Well it's a Torx T6 in case anyone is wondering...

So, the SSD and Mountain Lion installed without any issues - didn't do anything with the Bootcamp installation I had previously, so that confirms nothing is done to the bootloader itself.

I haven't enabled that Trim Enabler hack - What are your opinions on this?

Also, should I adjust any settings to prevent excessive writes? Like one of my work colleagues did some excessive amends (on his Windows 7 machine) to his browser and applications to prevent writes - would this be recommended and if so how would I go about applying it? Common apps I'll use are:

- Chrome
- Safari
- Photoshop
- iTunes
- xCode
- OS X in general...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom