Question SSD HD UPGRADE

bjd

Distinguished Member
Hi,
I have read through the process for upgrading the hd in a PS4 Slim online in various places. I currently have a Slim with a 500Gb hd and a 1 Tb Samsung SSD external hd attached. So, questions:
1. If I move all game installations to the Samsung, will it be recognised and used as is after the installation of a new hd and OS?
2. Should the external ssd be disconnected during the upgrade and reinstallation of the PS4 software or can I use it to back up saved games and install the OS from it, or is it safer to use a USB stick?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Edit: And 3. Do I need to formar the new SSD to a particular file system before installation, or will the PS4 take care of that?

Miss Mandy

The external drive should work exactly the same after the internal drive upgrade is done. Personally I'd disconnect it while doing the upgrade just to make sure it doesn't get accidentally wiped or cause any issues. I'd also use a separate USB stick for the OS file to make sure there aren't any issues. It's unlikely there will be, but it doesn't hurt to be cautious.
If I remember rightly the PS4 will format the new drive when you go through the installation so I don't think you need to do anything beforehand.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review, Filmmaker Mode, Disney+ $30 for Mulan, AV news and more
Top Bottom