• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SSD has crashed Windows twice - what's causing it?

farmergiles65

Established Member
Twice since installing an SSD as my Windows drive and program drive it has either had errors on startup or it's had a Blue Screen of Death and crashed out.

The result is that it won't boot up again and I've had to do Windows Installs all over again. Highly annoying from a Corsair 128gb SSD.

I'm probably going to take it back and get it replaced or just do with HDD's on my new gaming rig, but I'd like to know why it's doing this.

When I say programs I mean basic utilities, so flash player, abode, drivers, occasional programs that come with smartphones or peripherals, that kind of thing. No games have been installed to the SSD as they run perfectly fine on my HDD's.

I wondered whether it was overheating but my PC mate disagrees as it has no moving parts as such to cause issues like that. But my PC did get very very hot as it's an old case (hence I've now purchased a new case and PSU which I've yet to transfer the parts too).

Otherwise could it just be a faulty SSD that needs replacing? Annoying if it is, because that means YET ANOTHER WINDOWS INSTALL which means YET ANOTHER REINSTALL OF A TON OF UTILITY PROGRAMS!! But I'm due to visit the Novatech depot soon to collect the case/PSU so I'll take the SSD in if that's the case so a quick answer would be greatly appreciated!

On the first occasion it was simply updating an installed game, and on the second occasion it was just starting up. In fact it crashed a third time but with a bit of crafty use of installing Windows on a seperate HDD i was able to go in, retrieve files and then when it booted up again, it located the SSD and I managed to save the system but again it's bloody annoying.

Please can someone explain the likely cause? If it's overheating I'll be fine once my Thermaltake Chaser MKI takes over, but if it's a faulty drive, I'll replace it. That is.....assuming the sake of a little bit of quicker boot times and slightly quicker installs is worth the £160 outlay for the SSD anyway.....................

Cheers!

Edit - oh yeah if it helps I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
SSDs use similar chips to ram modules, I don't know the exact recommended maximum temperature but unless it's at least 60°C I'd think overheating is unlikely.

Something having failed does seem entirely possible. Have you tried swapping the SSD to different ports and power connectors (particularly the ones the working HDD is using) so you can rule out the motherboard/port/power cable?

Have you had your utility programs running fine on Windows 7 before or do they have explicit windows 7 compatibility? Low level stuff like drivers or security programs that aren't windows 7 compatible could easily be causing these symptoms.

farmergiles65

Established Member
Hard to say. I'm no expert at connecting up components, I normally get a mate to do it for me, but I've requested that when he installs the components into my new case that I'm about to pick up now, he teaches me how it's all done so that I can perform quick swapovers myself (and mess around with connectors! :p)

I think the drivers and programs have been fine. Only one has mentioned Windows 7 incompatibility but it's pretty harmless and doesn't affect any system files in any way. Plus I don't think it was installed on a previous crash.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I think the drivers and programs have been fine. Only one has mentioned Windows 7 incompatibility but it's pretty harmless and doesn't affect any system files in any way. Plus I don't think it was installed on a previous crash.

I mean checking explicitly on the program's websites or manuals, you can't rely on windows 7 to tell you.

The connectors will only go one way in one slot and the connectors all stay on the cables so plugging in the wires inside is no more difficult than outside. There's a handy website here that lists all the power connectors: All about the various PC power supply cables and connectors

markcuk

Standard Member
have you checked your serial number http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=95688

alot of SSD have problems with BSOD the cause is down the the sandforce controller on the drive most have firmware updates to try and fix the problems but the best bet is to get another make that does not use the controller like Intel or crucial

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom