SSD Failure - Can data get taken off?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by -=Rob=-, Sep 6, 2012.

1. -=Rob=-

-=Rob=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I've gat an SSD as my boot device and it appears to have failed - the PC re-booted and it came up with boot.mgr not found - diagnostics done are:

1. BIOS check, SSD not recognised.
    2. SATA cable swap still not recognised.
    3. Alternative known working sata port and not recognised.
    4. Plugged into a SATA USB dock and drive not recognised on another PC.

I think the controller has gone on the drive, it is only 28 days old so I can send it back for a replacement. However as I have some personal documents on it I am concerned that someone could get hold of these and I am unable to delete them or flatten the drive.

Someone has told me that once and SSD goes like this then it's game over and no one can get at the data, is this true?

I am thinking about just leaving the return and buying a new one for peace of mind but wanted to see if any techies can comment as to how safe / unreachable the data is!

Thanks...

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,492
    Unfortunately without knowing how the drive has failed it's impossible to say for certain what the state of the data is - it may just be a lose connection to the SATA port or something similar. Someone with more knowledge of SSDs might be able to give you a rough estimate of the probabilities.

Boot manager not found is an interesting message, my computers have always given more generic error messages (no bootable device found) so I do wonder if it is detecting the drive but you've lost the boot manager somehow, although not showing up in other parts of the BIOS would suggest the drive is dead. Have you actually tried booting from CD/USB and seeing if the windows disk or anything else can see the drives to replace the MBR and/or boot manager?

3. -=Rob=-

-=Rob=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Yes other drives are seen in the bios and also boot (my old mechanical drive). It's not a sata connection problem as I have tried various ports and cables... It's definitely dead but not sure I want it going anywhere with personal data on it. Don't actually know much about ssd's so trying to find out if data could be taken off in this state...

4. maf1970

maf1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    On the standard mechanical drives if the pcb failed you could still access the data by replacing it with an identical item. SSDs are just a pcb with chips on it. From your post it sounds like the controller chip has gone. If it had been any of the memory chips you would have just seen a reduction in drive size. Would someone else be able to access the data ? Not without going to a massive amount of trouble to do so.
    Seeing as the drive is only 28 days old I would return it for a replacement as that is completely unacceptable performance wise. As to the info on the drive, have you lost it or do you have backups ? If you didn't take any backups then you should learn from and start doing so.

5. -=Rob=-

-=Rob=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Thanks for the info on this, yes I have full backups and take them regularly, my concern is I have confidential data on the ssd as well and didn't want anyone getting at it if I sent the drive back. I was thinking of asking the company returning it to for their data protection policy on returned drives tomorrow to find out more. But if you say once the ssd has gone then that's it, well that sounds promising! I agree 28 days is rubbish for an ssd, my first dabble in them and this happens!!

6. STdrez625

STdrez625
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I think thats wrong, any (complete) memory chip going wrong would render the drive totally unusable. ISTBC.