Distinguished Member
Hi,

My son’s SSD boot disk has failed.

Windows 10 froze while he was using it.

Hard reset

Then froze.

Hard reset in safe mode

Attempted recovery

Got ‘diagnosing issue’ spinning wheel but shortly came back saying can’t be recovered.

So far I have connected it to my PC using a USB to SATA interface.

It registers as drive F: with a message that there is a fault with the disk.

However, I can browse the contents and have managed to copy the contents across to my hard disk.

So my thinking is, I wouldn’t use it again and we are buying a new SSD. But it also feels that it is recoverable which would be worth doing to clone to the new disk.

So appreciate any suggestions of what I can try to recover it.

Cheers,

Nigel

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
On your second (working) machine, with the "faulty" drive connected - you could try making a full image of the entire faulty disk, and then restoring said image to the new disk. I would use Macrium Reflect free edition for this purpose. It may or may not succeed depending on the state of the old disk.

In order for this to work, the new disk has to be at least as large as the old one - note, not the size of the image file (which will be determined largely by the actual used space) but the total size of all the partitions regardless of content. If it's smaller, the partitions will need to be resized BEFORE the image snapshot is taken.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Thanks I’ll try that. When you say the free Macrium Reflect do you mean the free trial or is there a free product. Sometimes free trials are limited in what you can do.

Cheers,

Nigel

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Free product, not a trial - will do what you need. Just read the site carefully to find the correct download link

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Does it give the nature of the fault? When windows refers to a disk/drive it can be talking about the partition rather than the physical drive. It could be that the failure of something else has corrupted the data and the drive itself is fine.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Does it give the nature of the fault? When windows refers to a disk/drive it can be talking about the partition rather than the physical drive. It could be that the failure of something else has corrupted the data and the drive itself is fine.
No. Using it to boot immediately opens the advanced tools where you can attempt to repair/recover.

And connecting it to a working PC using a USB interface, the connection says that there is something wrong (but doesn’t say what) but then allows me to browse it. I have tried copying the contents (file copy) and for the most part it works but there are a small number of files that won’t copy suggesting that they are corrupt.

I suspect that one or more memory chips or drivers have failed leaving some files inaccessible, probably crucial ones.

Going to try an image copy tomorrow when the new disk arrives but I doubt that will be successful. Expecting to do a fresh install.

I think there is every change that if it is reformatted it will work fine but maybe at reduced capacity with the dead memory excluded.

Cheers,

Nigel

ChrisNic

Interestingly I experienced much the same a week back.

I ended up doing a fresh install on another SSD to get me up and running but out of curiosity did a fresh install on the “failed” disk. I tested the drive before doing so and found no faults and it appears to be working just fine in another machine.