SSD Failed; Data Lost; Looking at options now

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by bym007, Jan 5, 2012.

1. bym007

bym007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi all,

My 1 month old SSD (PNY 128GB Sata 2) failed last week. I had only used it for 2-3 weeks and most of the data was backed up, so the data loss was minimal. However, I still lost some important word documents which were not backed up.

Firstly, lets look at why the disk failed, and what messages I am getting. I was carrying my laptop with me to the loft, and when I put it down on the deck, I believe I may have done it harshly :(. I tried to turn the laptop a few times afterwards, but I kept getting messages suggested I/O failure and errors with the HDD.

Also, the ribbon connecting my HDD to the Sony laptop Motherboard is quite flimsy, so it was half pulled out when I checked it afterwards. I believe that the HDD ribbon came out of the disk when I moved it upstairs, and this may have caused an error while the HDD was being read, and perhaps the partition table got corrupted in the process.

When I plug the disk in Win 7, the Disk Mgmt believes the disk is Uninitialised, and the disk space is Unallocated. I have not since tried to write or alter anything on the disk until a recovery attempt is made.

Next looking at data recovery options, I tried a number of softwares including demo of a highly "regarded" software Kroll OnTrack, but even after scanning my disk overnight, it could not find anything. I also rang OnTrack, but their quote is quite high (£500+ for the cheapest service). Is there something that could be done to recover the data cheaply (or freely) ?

Please help!

2. maf1970

maf1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    First, I would doubt very much if you are responsible for the drive going faulty. If just putting it down caused this then there would be a hell of alot of people complaining. If you had dropped the machine I think you would have done damage to other components before the HDD.
    If the SSD was only purchased a few weeks ago you should be getting back to who you bought it from for replacement or looking to contact PNY directly.
    The fact that the drive comes up as Uninitialised & Unallocated when plugged into another system suggests hardware failure given it is an SSD. (Another system should recognise a working NTFS volume). It is very unlikely that there is any software that will be able to help as recovery tools assume the drive is working and that it was user error.
    Now OnTrack is into a completely different realm. They are the last people you go to and usually it is businesses where the data is critical. They are so expensive because of the work they do. Take a standard mechanical drive(Platters,read.write heads etc) to recover data OnTrack will dismantle the drive,figure out whats wrong, source replacements, reconstruct drive and then access the data if possible. This all has to be done in a Vacuum Chamber because the drive internals are in a vacuum. SSDs construction is different but what they will do would be along the same lines. Are the files that important to spend that amount of cash ? And remember at the end of the day you are not guaranteed to recover them.

At least you had most backed up. many people don't have any backups.

3. bym007

bym007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    If I cannot recover the data cheaply, should I try and re-initialise the disk, just to see if it works ?

I am quite tempted to hook up the disk in the laptop externally, and run disk checker on it to see what comes up ... Funny enough, the SMART tests say all is well.

4. maf1970

maf1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    S.M.A.R.T. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    SMART tests are not reliable or consistent. Read the Wikipedia entry and you'll see why.

To be perfectly honest I don't think you have anything to lose by connecting up externally and trying to check it. But I don't think you will get anywhere. What you have to do is take the plunge and try to initialise the drive. If it works then the problem was caused by movement within the laptop itself and this is something you will have to consider how to address to stop it happening again(pure bad luck if nothing else). If it doesn't then it confirms the drive is faulty and you will need to pursue getting it replaced under warranty.

5. bym007

bym007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Just to update the thread followers, I have been sent a brand new 120GB model by PNY today, so although I lose 8GB capacity, I gain read/write performance... Fair tradeoff, I say.

Now, can I try and rebuilt the image I backed up from the failed disk ?

6. maf1970

maf1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Reinstall OS and software from scratch unless you have a complete backup of old drive that is recent enough.

7. bym007

bym007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I made a disk image just "after" it failed. However, I am more concerned about the loss of data, if thats recoverable. So I would like to be able to read the data files somehow.

OS and software can be installed later as required.