• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SSD Drives

sys4096

Standard Member
I currently have an old 37GB original type raptor (WD360GD). I am just about to take the plunge and get an OCZ core 2 60GB SSD drive for my main OS (Vista X64). Anyone got any real world experience of them? Are things as really snappy as they say?

Cheers,
Paul.

cwick

Linus Torvalds (linux fella) thinks they all suck except the intel ones - see here.

So here's the deal: right now, don't buy any other SSD than the Intel ones, because as far as I can tell, all the other ones are pretty much inferior to the much cheaper traditional disks, unless you never do any writes at all (and turn off 'atime', for that matter).

jrwagh333

I would spend your money on a new Velociraptor. More capacity for your money and the raptor writs faster i belive and JUST falls in reading but you wont notice.

sys4096

Standard Member
Thanks guys, I've been doing some more reading today, and I am going to steer clear at the moment because of the write issues with current drives on the market. I've read that the new intel x-25 models are good in the blog above and some other sites too now, but 3 x the price.

For now I'm going to grab a seagate ST3320613AS as my boot drive as this doubles my ancient raptor's performance.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom