ssd drive to 851N

Aussie 007

Novice Member
G’day from Down Under,

Your help needed, please.

Is it safe to connect a solid state hard drive to any USB port on the Cambridge Audio 851N network player?

Currently I have all my FLAC files stored on three 256 GB flash drives.

Prices on ssd drives are so low now - I could put all my files on one drive - not for speed but for convenience.

Thank you in advance for any assistance,
Aussie 007

larkone

Distinguished Member
From the manual

Inputs USB audio

The 851N USB Audio input is intended to connect directly to a PC or Mac computer. The default 851N configuration is USB Audio profile 1.0 which works with nearly all common operating systems and computer types without needing additional drivers. In this configuration sample rates from 16-bit/32kHz to 24-bit/96kHz are supported. For more details on USB Audio, see our online guides at: www.cambridgeaudio.com/USB-audio.

Aussie 007

Novice Member
G’day Larkone,

Thank you for the information. Can’t say I’ve ever read instructions.
We Aussies are an inventive mob. So with the assistance of my Avatar, Captain Australia, we decided we could sacrifice either one port of my 851N or a 250GB ssd drive.
Nothing happened - we were greatly disappointed - no smoke 🌋, no flames 🔥, not even a tiny explosion💥 - and no music either.

Did we give up? Not we Aussies 🇦🇺!

We attached a 1TB ssd drive to a USB port of our modem.
C‘mon Aussie, C’mon, C’mon. 😏
Music, music, music. 💃🏻🕺

Thanks for helping out an old man. 👨🏻‍🔬

Cheers,🍻
Aussie 007

Last edited:

midegi

well, mr. or mrs. larkone knows nothing of the 851N. You can't connect an SSD to the USB-B input, but to the USB-A connections you can.
I own a 851N and am using a 5TB SSD drive only for playing my FLAC files. Never use my NAS anymore! The USB's of the 851N offer sufficient power for a regular SSD. The SSD appears in the Music Library menu. If it doesn't, there is some issue. What type of SSD are you using?
Connecting it directly to the 851N is of course preferable to connecting it to your modem.

larkone

Distinguished Member
well, mr. or mrs. larkone knows nothing of the 851N. You can't connect an SSD to the USB-B input, but to the USB-A connections you can.
I own a 851N and am using a 5TB SSD drive only for playing my FLAC files. Never use my NAS anymore! The USB's of the 851N offer sufficient power for a regular SSD. The SSD appears in the Music Library menu. If it doesn't, there is some issue. What type of SSD are you using?
Connecting it directly to the 851N is of course preferable to connecting it to your modem.
Not my information but that supplied by Cambridge so perhaps you should tell them as they are the manufacturer

JBA6

Sorry @larkone I think you must have either missed the appropriate bit in the 851N manual or saw a version other than the one currently on the Cambridge Audio website. Page 3 of the English version of the User Manual clearly shows 3 USB type A sockets which are "For connection to the supplied Wi-Fi antenna, USB HD/flashdisk or optional BT100 Bluetooth audio receiver". This confirms what @midegi states above and that Cambridge do indeed know what the 851N can accept on it's USB inputs.

--
JB

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom