1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SS51G + Radeon = :-(

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Pulsar, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hello.

My Radeon arrived today for my HTPC to replace the Geforce 4. I fitted it into my Shuttle SS51G, and it has caused a lot of problems. My PC will boot, and go into Windows, the drivers installed fine, but the PC is constantly locking up. It can sometimes run for about 2 minutes max without locking, but has also locked during boot-up. I took the Radeon out, and put the Geforce back in, and the constant crashing must had messed up the Windows install, so I had to re-install it. Everything is running fine now, but how can I get the Radeon to work? I did connect the extra power supply as per the instructions, and have removed every other PC component that is non vital, and it still crashes. I know that the Radeon requires a lot of power, and my PSU is only 200w, but I have seen loads of places running Radeons in the SS51G.

Can anyone suggest anything else? I don't think it would be driver related as the card has crashed the computer on boot-up, and even when the BIOS was detecting IDE devices!!!

Cheers

Rob

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Which radeon?

3. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    It's the 9700

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Could be a PSU problem, they certainly need a bit of power from what I've read, might be AGP voltage if thats adjustable in the bios, my Asus board needs a small increase in Voltage to run a 9700, only other thing I can think to check is the other Bios settings like AGP bus speed and aperture size etc.

5. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hi John.

You are as helpful as ever. I seem to have fixed the problem now though. The card came with a power pass through cable which I was using, but I have now ditched that and are taking a direct feed from the PSU. Lets hope it all stays OK, as I have made my screen today, and my HS10 is arriving tomorrow.:D

Cheers

Rob

6. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You'd better download Powerstrip and start experimenting with it ready to set the custom res for the Sony via DVI if you haven't already;)