1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SS 2.3 to 3.0 experience...

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by mark rosser, Apr 8, 2005.

1. mark rosser

mark rosser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I have just completed the upgrade from sonicstage 2.3 to 3.0, so i thought i would share my experience.

As instucted elsewhere on the forum, i produced a backup of my library using the sonicstage backup utility. I have approx 300 cd's in the library and the backup took about 50mins.

Next the install of 3.0. The downloadable .exe file guides you through the process, deinstalling 2.3 prior to installing 3.0. This took approx 20 mins.

OK, so 3.0 now loaded, instructed to re-start pc, which i do, and then open shiny new version of 3.0 :thumbsup: . I am guided through some simple set up sreens, and much to my surprise 3.0 finds my library backup and also installs this :smashin: .

re-connect HD3, and 3.0 now tells you to initialise device. So, select initialise option from menu, and HD is initialised (a few seconds to complete).

Re-connect HD3, and 3.0 asks to authorise player with Sony's Connect store, so i play along with this. Sony then tell me this is not avaialble as my internet connection is outside the US! Oh well, stuff them then :thumbsdow . I try again but this time elect not to authorise player.

3.0 (which i have not used yet in any real sense) now includes the term Playlist, which i can sort albums by in my library, more in a moment...

with my HD3 initialised (empty i assume?) i attempt to transfer my library, so select transfer option, and off 3.0 goes and begins to transfer library at the rate of about 3-4 secs per album :thumbsup:

so far so good, but now for the downside. Somehow, 3.0 has decided to create numerous 'playlist' albums in my library which appear to be either complete copies of albums, or partial copies (haven't worked out the precise logic here yet), which appear to be related somehow to the 3 Own Compilation albums i had created on 2.3. So, i have a bit of a tidying exercise to do on both my library, and my HD3 :(

the other anomally i have noticed (already mentioned in another post), is that 3.0 has managed to split some CD compliation albums into many single albums, creating an album per track/artist - so again, more housekeeping to do :mad:

I'll post more on my views of usability vs. 2.3 once i have had a chance to play :)

2. diverse

diverse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this with one compilation album, i just deleted and re-imported it.

I am happier with SS3 than 2.X but it's still no Itunes.

Still no joy with copy protected CD's!