1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sreenplay 4805 or Optoma H30

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bigfluff, Jan 19, 2005.

1. bigfluff

bigfluff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all

Firstly congrats on a really nice well organised forum - good to see a forum that actually gets 'looked' after.

My question to you all is a question im sure you have all been asked before at some stage - which projector!

Currently I have an Infocus X1 projector and a 84" screen. I am resonably happy with the X1 but the occasional rainbows and not native 16:9 is starting to annoy me a little.

I yesterday went out and looked at the Optoma H30 and the Screenplay 4805 and liked both units but the people that showed me the units really had no idea after checking the menus both units were on factory default settings and when i started playing the guy took the remote off of me and said "Hey what are you doing you cant play around with the settings" and unfortunatly these guys ar the only ones that sell both projectors in Perth.

So I am after your opinions - both projectors are nearly the same price. My room has a bit of ambient light but its mainly used at night.

Thankyou in advance

Mike

2. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    The Optoma was probably the best budget DLP projector money could buy right up until the 4805 came onto the market !
    The 4805 is marginally better than the H30 and wins with a native widescreen panel, better Faroudja video processing and contrast. The H30 wins on price. If you're after the best, buy the 4805. If you want the best bargain, buy the H30. I'm sure you'll be pleased with either, but the 4805 is better for movies........just.

3. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Well, I believe the 4805 is an evolved version of the x1 so personally I would go for that. May even fit on your ceiling mount if you have one.....

Demoed the 4805 last week and was very impressed by it.

Cap :)

4. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Check out the spec on the new H30A, blows the 4805 away and still only £1145

5. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,516
    I own a H30 and love it, the H30A has better specs. so it looks like it will be a winner. However the new low price of the basic H30 will make it a very attractive proposition when upgrading from an X1...you should be able to demo one if you have a local Sevenoaks as they seem to have one in every store.

6. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I see that infocus have a new model out the 5000.

7. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I am looking at the Infocus 4805 anyone know if I purchased one from the USA would it work here ?
    Is it like a PC style PSU where you can change the power lead or flick a voltage switch or is it full on transformer time ?
    Sorry to hijack your thread mate :)

8. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,516
    it would work fine, if you look at the specs it lists 110v/250v.

9. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

I'm not sure I agree that the native widescreen panel makes the 4805 better especially if 4:3 is important to you.
    Although faroudja deinterlacing is legendary I can also tell you from experience that the pixelworks unit in the H30 is also superb.
    Either way I don't think anyone will go far wrong with either the 4805, H30 or H30A

Regards, MikeD

10. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I stated that as Bigfluff said :

"Currently I have an Infocus X1 projector and a 84" screen. I am resonably happy with the X1 but the occasional rainbows and not native 16:9 is starting to annoy me a little."

So I assumed 16:9 WAS important to Bigfluff

11. rickyd

rickyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi bigfluff
    We bought the 4805 just befor xmas, and we think that for the money, its the mutts nutts! just make sure that if you do decide to buy one, that it has the new 1.13 firmware, mine didnt and i had the hastle of downloading it from infocus.
    kinza

12. maverick177uk

maverick177uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    ^^ I got one before Xmas too how would I know if it had the firmware update, and if I didn't what does it do and where do I get it from?

13. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    You go into the menu and select the 'ABOUT' section at the bottom. Once in there it says the 'VERSION at the bottom. you should have version 1.13, but you probably have version 1.12 ( original version).
    Go to www.infocus.com and select your projector, select services and then updates download the most recent firmware update and follow onscreen instructions for downloading and installing.
    To be honest, I've not noticed any positive differences but it is supposed to improve the menu and also the scaling of High Def signals ( not really important yet). But it does seem to have a negative effect and that is now I notice the lamp flickering in darker scenes which Infocus are aware of and are trying to update the firmware again to cure this so if I were you, stick with the version you have now and wait until they iron out the problems.

14. bigfluff

bigfluff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all thankyou for your advice. I have tested both projectors in a store and was impressed with both units - however when veiwing the H30 with its 4:3 resolution I could see a band of light below the screen where it was trying to cutoff but it wasnt doing it 100% were as the 4805 did not have that problem - so I think for myself the native 16:9 chip is probably going to be the clincher for me.

In regards to the firmware I have read more bad reports than good - one person even claiming that the lamp flicker almost makes his unwatchable! Apparantly Infocus are looking at a complete re write of the firmware though - not just a upgrade as it has a few other "issues"

Well I think it is decided the 4805 is the one for me - I just wanted some real opinions rather than the salesman in the store - plus I can get the 4805 for $800Aus cheaper than the H30.

Ill keep you posted and tell you how it goes - hopefully be a nice improvement over the X1

Mike